As the proposed early 2014 production start-date on Star Wars: Episode VII looms closer, director J.J. Abrams is going to have to start letting some minor details about the film slip. Actors’ schedules will need to be booked, which means that casting announcements are likely to be coming out of Disney/Lucasfilm very soon. Many expect some casting to be officially unveiled at this weekend’s Star Wars Celebration in Germany, and we can expect at least something to be announced at the event. However, some news may or may not have jumped the gun, as a new casting rumor has surfaced online claiming that a couple of very recognizable names are being eyed to join the film: Ryan Gosling and Zac Efron. Hit the jump for more.
Before we proceed, it is very important to keep in mind that this is a rumor. There has been no confirmation whatsoever out of Disney or Lucasfilm, so don’t start crying foul just yet. That being said, the folks over at Latino Review are hearing that Ryan Gosling and Zac Efron are being eyed for roles in Star Wars: Episode VII. Gosling is apparently up for the role of Luke Skywalker’s son since the story takes place 30 years after the events of Return of the Jedi, but LR doesn’t know which role Efron is up for. The report also states that Leonardo DiCaprio met for another role earlier on, but he’s no longer involved with the project.
I find it a little surprising that such well-known names are being bandied about for Episode VII, which is why I don’t completely buy this rumor just yet. The Star Wars name sells itself, so Lucasfilm is more likely to go with either complete unknowns or young talent on the cusp of stardom—think something along the lines of Dane DeHaan or Andrew Garfield pre-Spider-Man. At this point, though, it’s anyone’s guess, so yes Gosling and/or Efron could certainly be possibilities, and they fit this casting breakdown for the film.
Again, none of this is confirmed, so it’s best to reserve all anger/frustration/elation until some sort of official casting announcement surfaces, which in all likelihood will be this weekend. There had been rumors swirling earlier this week that Abrams was considering dropping out of the project altogether, but those were quickly squashed by an official statement from Lucasfilm. Star Wars: Episode VII is expected to be released sometime in 2015.
Click here to catch up on all of our Star Wars coverage, or peruse the recent links below:
- STAR TREK 3 Looking to Hire THOR Writers; Is J.J. Abrams Dropping Out of STAR WARS: EPISODE VII?
- Neill Blomkamp Says He Turned Down a STAR WARS Film
- STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Will Film at Pinewood Studios
- Possible Casting Breakdown for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Revealed
- Rumor: Han and Leia’s Twin Children to Be the Protagonists of STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- STAR TREK Costume Designer Michael Kaplan Signs on for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- Rumor: Jonathan Rhys Meyers in Talks for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII?
- Disney Launches New STAR WARS Animated Series, STAR WARS REBELS, for 2014 on Disney XD
- Brad Bird Talks THE INCREDIBLES 2 and STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- Watch: J.J. Abrams and Jon Stewart Talk STAR WARS and STAR TREK on THE DAILY SHOW
- STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Will Shoot in the UK
- Producer Bryan Burk Says STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Will Likely Start Filming Early 2014
- Mark Hamill Talks STAR WARS and the New Trilogy; Hopes for a Balance Between CGI and Practical Effects
- May the Fourth Be With You: J.J. Abrams and Simon Pegg Talk STAR WARS
- J.J. Abrams Thinks John Williams Will Score STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- Carrie Fisher Reiterates Her Involvement in STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- J.J. Abrams Talks STAR WARS, STAR TREK, and CLOVERFIELD 2; Says He Could Direct TREK 3
- Watch: Harrison Ford Refuses to Answer STAR WARS Questions on JIMMY KIMMEL LIVE
- Disney Will Release a New STAR WARS Film Every Year Starting in 2015
- J.J. Abrams Talks STAR WARS: EPISODE VII and Approaching the Film as a Massive Fan of the Franchise
- Harrison Ford Talks His Involvement with STAR WARS: EPISODE VII; Says “I Think it’s Happening”
- Joss Whedon Says He Wouldn’t Bring Back Original Characters for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII