3D refuses to go away, and while I think the trend will fade eventually (we’ve already tired of it stateside, and now it’s a matter of waiting for international audiences to let it die), if we must endure it, then I wish studios would have some more fun with this novelty, and novelty 3D glasses are a good way to go.
RealD has announced that Star Wars: The Force Awakens will have special edition 3D glasses that are meant to echo the design of Kylo Ren, BB-8, Captain Phasma, and a stormtrooper. And they’re all really nice looking glasses. I can understand why most films don’t do this—they want you to recycle glasses and I doubt people are willing to part with collectors items—but if it’s a big movie like Star Wars, then they should chalk it up to the cost of doing business and let people have some fun wearing their goofy glasses. If this is an event, then make it an event complete with memorabilia.
Check out the Star Wars: The Force Awakens 3D glasses below, and sound off in the comments section about other upcoming movies you think should get the special edition treatment. The film opens December 18th (or slightly earlier if you’re in France or the U.K.).
For more of our Star Wars: The Force Awakens coverage, check out some of the recent links below:
- ‘Star Wars 7′: C-3PO Actor Compliments J.J. Abrams’ Collaborative Direction, Shuns Movie’s Secrecy
- Here’s Every Single ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Image Officially Released Thus Far
- Film, Digital, and Big Lenses: Here’s How the New ‘Star Wars’ Movies Are Being Shot
- ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Teaser Hints at a Snowy Showdown
- New ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Images and Empire Cover for BB-8