Adam Driver has been in talks with some big studios for some major roles in recent months, but a new report has him nearing a deal to play the villain in J.J. Abrams’ Star Wars: Episode VII. The deal isn’t done just yet, and there are (obviously) no details to the role itself, but Driver is apparently close to signing on for a role that would rival the iconic Darth Vader. Were this to become official, it would be the first casting news for the highly anticipated film, due out December 18, 2015. Hit the jump for more.
Variety reports that Driver is nearing a deal to antagonize the heroes in Star Wars: Episode VII. Recently, Driver had been rumored to be in the casting mix but has now emerged as the top choice for the film’s villain, beating out such other talents as Michael Fassbender and Hugo Weaving. The final decision was delayed in part because of Driver’s schedule, which was complicated by his commitment to the HBO show, Girls. It’s not only the upcoming fourth season of the Lena Dunham series that threw a potential wrench into the works, but possible future seasons as well, which makes Driver’s role one that’s likely to appear in multiple Star Wars films.
The direct sequel to Star Wars: Return of the Jedi is scheduled to shoot at London’s Pinewood Studios in April, so expect additional cast members to be announced over the coming weeks. The original cast of Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher are expected to appear in some capacity.
- Gary Oldman and Zac Efron Confirm They’ve Had Meetings for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- Miles Teller Talks His STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Audition
- J.J. Abrams Says STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Script Is Done; Talks Jesse Plemons Rumors, Filming in IMAX, and More
- Jesse Plemons Eyed for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- The STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Script Hasn’t Been Turned in Yet
- UNBROKEN Stars Jack O’Connell Rumored for “Key Role” in STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- J.J. Abrams Says New STAR WARS Release Date Is a “Huge Improvement”; Talks Reluctance to Shoot in London
- Confirmed: R2-D2 Will Appear in STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- Disney Accepting Video Auditions Nationwide for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Will Open in 3D on December 18, 2015
- J.J. Abrams Says He and Lawrence Kasdan Took Over STAR WARS Scripting Duties to “Meet Time Frame”
- Rumor: Chiwetel Ejiofor Might Be in STAR WARS: EPISODE VII; J.J. Abrams Wants to Take Franchise Back to Grittier Roots
- STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Team Sought Delay to 2016; Disney Adamant about 2015 Release Date
- J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan Take Over Scripting Duties on STAR WARS: EPISODE VII