As director J.J. Abrams gears up to start production on Star Wars: Episode VII early next year, the filmmaker has presumably begun thinking about casting for the highly anticipated sequel. A rumored casting breakdown hit the web a week ago that claimed Han and Lei’s twin children would be the protagonists of the film, but given that it read like it was written by a 14-year-old fanboy and revealed way more than typical casting breakdowns normally do, we were dubious of its validity. Now another casting breakdown has hit the web, and this one seems much more solid.
Apparently the Star Wars casting directors have sent out a brief breakdown of the film’s lead characters to agents in the US and UK, and the list reveals that the main cast involves two teenage girls, two young men in their 20s, two middle-aged men, and another older man around age 70. Hit the jump to read the full breakdowns and let the guessing games begin.
The folks over at Bleeding Cool are claiming that they have 100% confirmation that this breakdown is real, and it certainly reads like an official one. Here are the possible lead characters, which are not necessarily listed in order of importance:
Late-teen female, independent, good sense of humour, fit.
Young twenty-something male, witty and smart, fit but not traditionally good looking.
A late twentysomething male, fit, handsome and confident.
Seventy-something male, with strong opinions and tough demeanour. Also doesn’ t need to be particularly fit.
A second young female, also late teens, tough, smart and fit.
Forty something male, fit, military type.
Thirtysomething male, intellectual. Apparently doesn’t need to be fit.
We’ve been hearing for some time now that the chief protagonist of Star Wars: Episode VII would be a young female, and this breakdown certainly includes two characters that would fit that bill. There’s bound to be at least some familial connection to the Skywalker family in these new leads, so get those creative juices flowing and let us know in the comments how you think each of these characters will fit into the story.
Click here to catch up on all of our Star Wars coverage, or peruse the recent links below:
- Rumor: Han and Leia’s Twin Children to Be the Protagonists of STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- STAR TREK Costume Designer Michael Kaplan Signs on for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- Rumor: Jonathan Rhys Meyers in Talks for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII?
- Disney Launches New STAR WARS Animated Series, STAR WARS REBELS, for 2014 on Disney XD
- Brad Bird Talks THE INCREDIBLES 2 and STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- Watch: J.J. Abrams and Jon Stewart Talk STAR WARS and STAR TREK on THE DAILY SHOW
- STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Will Shoot in the UK
- Producer Bryan Burk Says STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Will Likely Start Filming Early 2014
- Mark Hamill Talks STAR WARS and the New Trilogy; Hopes for a Balance Between CGI and Practical Effects
- May the Fourth Be With You: J.J. Abrams and Simon Pegg Talk STAR WARS
- J.J. Abrams Thinks John Williams Will Score STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- Carrie Fisher Reiterates Her Involvement in STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- J.J. Abrams Talks STAR WARS, STAR TREK, and CLOVERFIELD 2; Says He Could Direct TREK 3
- Watch: Harrison Ford Refuses to Answer STAR WARS Questions on JIMMY KIMMEL LIVE
- Disney Will Release a New STAR WARS Film Every Year Starting in 2015
- J.J. Abrams Talks STAR WARS: EPISODE VII and Approaching the Film as a Massive Fan of the Franchise
- Harrison Ford Talks His Involvement with STAR WARS: EPISODE VII; Says “I Think it’s Happening”
- Joss Whedon Says He Wouldn’t Bring Back Original Characters for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII