As we move closer (slowly but surely) towards an eventual production start-date for Star Wars: Episode VII, director J.J. Abrams is working to build up his crew for the highly anticipated sequel. We already know that Abrams’ Star Trek costume designer Michael Kaplan is crafting the film’s costumes, and John Williams is onboard to provide the score. Now Star Trek cinematographer Dan Mindel has apparently revealed that he will be shooting Episode VII—on 35mm film, no less. Hit the jump for more.
The folks over at BobaFettFanClub.com (via The Film Stage) are reporting that news of Mindel’s involvement was announced earlier today at an industry event in Los Angeles. Mindel also served as the cinematographer on both of Abrams’ Star Trek films and Mission: Impossible III, but before you start crying foul over lens flares, I’d say it’s safe to assume that Abrams and Mindel are developing a wholly different look for the Star Wars universe. Abrams is very much aware of the fact that he will be directing films in two of the biggest sci-fi franchise of all time, and it’s reasonable to assume that he’d like to distinguish the two properties as much as possible.
More exciting, though, is the news that Abrams and Mindel will be shooting Episode VII on film. George Lucas famously switched to digital for Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, and the result was less than aesthetically pleasing. Digital has come a long way in the ensuing years, but this decision is yet another signal that Abrams is trying to bring the series back to the roots of the original trilogy. As development continues, expect to hear more cast and crew announcements in the coming months. Star Wars: Episode VII is expected to be released in 2015.
Click here to catch up on all of our Star Wars coverage, or peruse the recent links below:
- STAR WARS: EPISODE VII May Get December 2015 Release Date
- Rumor: Obi-Wan Kenobi Will Be in STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Because People Can Speculate Endlessly at This Point
- Disney Confirms 2015 Release Date for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- Rumor: Ryan Gosling and Zac Efron Eyed for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII?
- STAR TREK 3 Looking to Hire THOR Writers; Is J.J. Abrams Dropping Out of STAR WARS: EPISODE VII?
- Neill Blomkamp Says He Turned Down a STAR WARS Film
- STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Will Film at Pinewood Studios
- Possible Casting Breakdown for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Revealed
- Rumor: Han and Leia’s Twin Children to Be the Protagonists of STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- STAR TREK Costume Designer Michael Kaplan Signs on for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- Rumor: Jonathan Rhys Meyers in Talks for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII?
- Disney Launches New STAR WARS Animated Series, STAR WARS REBELS, for 2014 on Disney XD
- Brad Bird Talks THE INCREDIBLES 2 and STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- Watch: J.J. Abrams and Jon Stewart Talk STAR WARS and STAR TREK on THE DAILY SHOW
- STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Will Shoot in the UK
- Producer Bryan Burk Says STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Will Likely Start Filming Early 2014
- Mark Hamill Talks STAR WARS and the New Trilogy; Hopes for a Balance Between CGI and Practical Effects
- May the Fourth Be With You: J.J. Abrams and Simon Pegg Talk STAR WARS
- J.J. Abrams Thinks John Williams Will Score STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- Carrie Fisher Reiterates Her Involvement in STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- J.J. Abrams Talks STAR WARS, STAR TREK, and CLOVERFIELD 2; Says He Could Direct TREK 3
- Watch: Harrison Ford Refuses to Answer STAR WARS Questions on JIMMY KIMMEL LIVE
- Disney Will Release a New STAR WARS Film Every Year Starting in 2015
- J.J. Abrams Talks STAR WARS: EPISODE VII and Approaching the Film as a Massive Fan of the Franchise