It’s been a couple of days since our last Star Wars story, so it’s time for another update on the highly anticipated film. The firm production dates of Star Wars: Episode VII have been hard to nail down, but a spring start-date was necessary in order to keep the pic on track for its December 2015 release date. Indeed, HitFix has confirmed through multiple sources that director J.J. Abrams’ sequel will begin filming in mid-May and will shoot through September. Not a crazy short schedule, but not a particularly lengthy one either. Hit the jump for more.
Wrapping principal photography on Star Wars: Episode VII in September, per HitFix’s confirmation, should give Abrams and his team ample time to complete post-production before the film’s release. It should be noted, though, that September may not mark the end of filming on Episode VII, as the pic will no doubt go back for additional shooting at one point or another—it’s now common for almost every movie to have some form of reshoots/additional filming after wrapping production.
Further firm details are, as always, few and far between at this point, but now that we know filming will be underway in London in just a couple of months, expect firm casting announcements relatively soon. Star Wars: Episode VII opens in theaters December 18, 2015.
To catch up on all of our Star Wars coverage thus far, click here. Peruse the recent links below.
- Gary Oldman and Zac Efron Confirm They’ve Had Meetings for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- Miles Teller Talks His STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Audition
- J.J. Abrams Says STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Script Is Done; Talks Jesse Plemons Rumors, Filming in IMAX, and More
- STAR WARS: EPISODE VII News: Reworked Script Has Original Characters in Leads; Michael Fassbender, Hugo Weaving Eyed for Roles
- Jesse Plemons Eyed for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- The STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Script Hasn’t Been Turned in Yet
- UNBROKEN Stars Jack O’Connell Rumored for “Key Role” in STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- J.J. Abrams Says New STAR WARS Release Date Is a “Huge Improvement”; Talks Reluctance to Shoot in London
- Confirmed: R2-D2 Will Appear in STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- Disney Accepting Video Auditions Nationwide for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Will Open in 3D on December 18, 2015
- J.J. Abrams Says He and Lawrence Kasdan Took Over STAR WARS Scripting Duties to “Meet Time Frame”
- Rumor: Chiwetel Ejiofor Might Be in STAR WARS: EPISODE VII; J.J. Abrams Wants to Take Franchise Back to Grittier Roots
- STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Team Sought Delay to 2016; Disney Adamant about 2015 Release Date
- J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan Take Over Scripting Duties on STAR WARS: EPISODE VII