Star Wars: Episode VII will follow in the footsteps of its live-action predecessors which all went through production in United Kingdom studios. A press release from Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy confirmed that the J.J. Abrams-directed sequel to the original Star Wars trilogy will indeed find its home in the U.K. once again.
Hit the jump to check out the full press release.
Here’s the full press release (via StarWars.com):
STAR WARS FEATURE FILM PRODUCTION RETURNS TO THE U.K.
Lucasfilm announced today that production of Star Wars: Episode VII will take place in the United Kingdom. All of the six previous live-action Star Wars movies have included UK production in such famed studios as Elstree, Shepperton, Leavesden, Ealing and Pinewood Studios.
“We’ve devoted serious time and attention to revisiting the origins of Star Wars as inspiration for our process on the new movie, and I’m thrilled that returning to the UK for production and utilizing the incredible talent there can be a part of that,” said Kathleen Kennedy, President of Lucasfilm. “Speaking from my own longstanding connection to the UK with films like Raiders of the Lost Ark, Empire of the Sun and recently War Horse, it’s very exciting to be heading back.”
Earlier this year, representatives from Lucasfilm met with the Chancellor of the Exchequer, George Osborne, in London to establish an agreement to produce Star Wars in the U.K. “I am delighted that Star Wars is coming back to Britain. Today’s announcement that the next Star Wars film will be shot and produced in the UK is great news for fans and our creative industries,” Osborne said today.
Star Wars: Episode VII will be directed by J.J. Abrams from a screenplay by Michael Arndt and is scheduled for a 2015 release.
Click here to catch up on all of our Star Wars coverage, or peruse the recent links below:
- Mark Hamill Talks STAR WARS and the New Trilogy; Hopes for a Balance Between CGI and Practical Effects
- May the Fourth Be With You: J.J. Abrams and Simon Pegg Talk STAR WARS
- J.J. Abrams Thinks John Williams Will Score STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- Carrie Fisher Reiterates Her Involvement in STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- J.J. Abrams Talks STAR WARS, STAR TREK, and CLOVERFIELD 2; Says He Could Direct TREK 3
- Watch: Harrison Ford Refuses to Answer STAR WARS Questions on JIMMY KIMMEL LIVE
- Disney Will Release a New STAR WARS Film Every Year Starting in 2015
- J.J. Abrams Talks STAR WARS: EPISODE VII and Approaching the Film as a Massive Fan of the Franchise
- Harrison Ford Talks His Involvement with STAR WARS: EPISODE VII; Says “I Think it’s Happening”
- Joss Whedon Says He Wouldn’t Bring Back Original Characters for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII