In November, we reported that Harrison Ford was open to returning for Star Wars: Episode VII. Today, we’ve learned that the scruffy nerdherder Han Solo will likely appear in the upcoming, long-awaited sequel. This casting clues us in to at least a few details about the script. First, at some point we have to see what takes place about 35 years after Return of the Jedi. It doesn’t mean the film will begin or take place during that time, and Han Solo’s appearance may be a flashback, but if I recall correctly, there wasn’t a single flashback in any of the previous Star Wars films. The most you got was a recording of events that had already happened.
Hit the jump for more. Ford will be seen later this year in the Jackie Robinson biopic 42, the thriller Paranoia, and the adaptation of Ender’s Game. [Update: Trusted reporter Geoff Boucher now says that this is far from a done deal. More after the jump.]
[Update: Geoff Boucher, who recently moved from the LA Times to EW, Tweeted that his source tells him Ford's involvement is not yet a done deal, and might not be for some time:
Harrison Ford deal? My source says not yet."It will not be for weeks and perhaps months."
— Geoff Boucher (@geoffboucher) February 15, 2013
Though the actor's return is not guaranteed just yet, Boucher's update does confirm that Ford has indeed been approached about reprising his role. Here's hoping he ultimately decides to sign on. Our original story follows below.]
Latino Review is reporting that Ford is set to return, and I trust them because they have a good track record when it comes to scoops. As we previously reported, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher spoke with George Lucas last summer to discuss returning for the next Star Wars movie. If all three will return (and I find it baffling that they would only bring back Han Solo, and Ford seems the hardest to get of the original trilogy lead actors), then I find it even harder to believe that the next film would only show them in a flashback. Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope are connected by baby Luke and Leia, so it’s tough to imagine going to Episode VII, and discovering Luke, Leia, and Han are DEAD. What a triumphant way to start off your new movie. That should be in the opening crawl.
Click here to catch up on all of our Star Wars coverage, or peruse the recent links below:
- STAR WARS Screenwriters Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg Talk STAR WARS: EPISODE VII; Frank Oz Willing to Return to Voice Yoda
- Watch Steve Talk About STAR WARS Spinoff Movies, DIE HARD 6, SPIDER-MAN, the STAR TREK Sequel and More
- RUMOR: John Noble Circling Villain Role in STAR WARS: EPISODE VII? Plus, Concept Art for Young Han Solo from STAR WARS: EPISODE III
- Editorial: Need STAR WARS Spinoffs Featuring Old Characters, We Don’t
- STAR WARS Spinoff Films Include a Boba Fett Movie and a Young Han Solo Film
- Disney Confirms Standalone STAR WARS Films
- Rumor: First Standalone STAR WARS Movie Centers on Yoda
- THE COLLISION: Episode 35 – J.J. Abrams and STAR WARS
- Producer Kathleen Kennedy Explains How She Got J.J. Abrams to Direct STAR
- ARS: EPISODE VII; Won’t Confirm 2015 Release
- STAR WARS News: Film Might Have Female Protagonist; Abrams Comments on Getting the Gig; May Not Have Agreed to 2015 Release
- It’s Official: J.J. Abrams Will Direct & Produce STAR WARS: EPISODE VII; Lawrence Kasdan & Simon Kinberg Consulting on the Film
- Lucasfilm Postpones Plans for Further STAR WARS 3D Re-Releases