While production is poised to begin on Star Wars: Episode VII early next year, it appears that there’s still a bit of script work left to do for the highly anticipated sequel. We know that Oscar-winning Little Miss Sunshine scribe Michael Arndt had a treatment prepared when Disney first purchased Lucasfilm and announced plans for more Star Wars films, and while he worked with director J.J. Abrams on the screenplay once Abrams was hired on, it sounds like Arndt’s take on the material is being significantly reworked.
It was announced a few months ago that Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan were taking over scripting duties on Episode VII, and now Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn has revealed that he hasn’t yet received the script. Hit the jump for more.
Speaking at a Variety breakfast earlier today, Horn told the crowd (via Marc Graser) that he expects to see the script in January, and until then they don’t have an official budget—though he noted that they expect it to be at least $200 million. Though I’m sure Horn has seen at least something pertaining to Episode VII, it’s telling that the screenplay has not yet been official submitted even though it’s been in development with Abrams’ involvement for nearly a year. This signifies that Abrams and Kasdan are doing extensive work on the script, and indeed Badass Digest reports that the Arndt script was thrown out and the two started “more or less” from scratch.
Hopefully Abrams’ reworking of the material is for the best and will result in a finished film that delivers the goods to longtime Star Wars fans. For now, we continue to wait for more official word regarding casting, story, etc. All will be revealed when Star Wars: Episode VII hits theaters on December 18, 2015.
Get caught up with our latest Star Wars coverage here, or check out some recent articles below:
- UNBROKEN Stars Jack O’Connell Rumored for “Key Role” in STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- J.J. Abrams Says New STAR WARS Release Date Is a “Huge Improvement”; Talks Reluctance to Shoot in London
- Confirmed: R2-D2 Will Appear in STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- Disney Accepting Video Auditions Nationwide for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Will Open in 3D on December 18, 2015
- J.J. Abrams Says He and Lawrence Kasdan Took Over STAR WARS Scripting Duties to “Meet Time Frame”
- Rumor: Chiwetel Ejiofor Might Be in STAR WARS: EPISODE VII; J.J. Abrams Wants to Take Franchise Back to Grittier Roots
- STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Team Sought Delay to 2016; Disney Adamant about 2015 Release Date
- J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan Take Over Scripting Duties on STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- These Four “Rules” Will Not Make STAR WARS Great Again
- Propaganda Poster and Official Synopsis for STAR WARS: REBELS; Rumored Working Titles for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- Michael B. Jordan Confirms STAR WARS Audition; Harrison Ford Uncertain about Han Solo Reprisal but Game for More INDIANA JONES