During the Deutsche Bank 2016 Media, Internet & Telecom Conference, Disney boss Bob Iger talked about the plans for both Rogue One: A Star Wars Story and the eventual spin-off that focuses on a young Han Solo. While Iger more or less rehashed the logline of Rogue One, he also revealed that the as of yet untitled Han Solo movie will actually be an origin story about the talented space pilot/smuggler and his pal Chewbacca! So not only will Chewie be featured in the film, we’ll likely get to see how the two best buds ended up meeting in the first place.
Here’s what Iger had to say (via The Wrap):
“Rogue One … is about a band of rebels plotting to steal the plans to the Death Star. It takes place right before George Lucas‘s first film, which came out in 1977 and is now called ‘The New Hope.’
We have others in the works, including one, which is an origin story about Han Solo and Chewy. And that’ll come after ‘Star Wars 8’ in 2018. And then there will possibly more thereafter.”
In addition to confirming Chewbacca’s appearance, Iger also assured investors that the new films that are outside of the main plot would be marketed “differently, but aggressively.” In other words, they’re going to have to work a bit harder to sell you on something you haven’t necessarily been waiting for all your life.
In light of this news, let’s get caught up on the upcoming Star Wars films. Starting with Rogue One, here’s what we know: Directed by Gareth Edwards and starring Felicity Jones, Diego Luna, Ben Mendelsohn, Donnie Yen, Jiang Wen, Forest Whitaker, Mads Mikkelsen, Alan Tudyk - who plays a performance-capture character – and Riz Ahmed, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story will follow “band of resistance fighters [who] unite for a daring mission to steal the Death Star plans.” Like Iger mentioned above, it will take place just before the events of the original Star Wars film. Since Disney has yet to announce a decision on who will be playing the new, younger version of Solo, there’s a chance he’ll be making some sort of cameo appearance in the year-end film.
Here’s a look at our recent coverage of Rogue One, which opens December 16th:
- Collider Jedi Council: ‘Rogue One’ Trailer Details Revealed?
- ‘Star Wars: Rogue One’: Christopher McQuarrie Brought In to “Save” Script
- ‘Rogue One: A Star Wars Story’ Might Have a Han Solo Cameo
- Everything We Know about ‘Rogue One: A Star Wars Story’
- How the ‘Star Wars’ Anthology Films Will Be Different From the Trilogy
- ‘Star Wars’ Stories in Place Through ‘Episode IX’ Says Kathleen Kennedy
Now, let’s talk about that young Han Solo spin-off. Phil Lord and Chris Miller will be directing the untitled film, which should star one of the actors on this shortlist of hopefuls: Miles Teller (Whiplash), Ansel Elgort (The Fault in Our Stars), Dave Franco (Neighbors), Jack Reynor (Transformers: Age of Extinction), Scott Eastwood (The Longest Ride), Logan Lerman (The Perks of Being a Wallflower), Emory Cohen (Brooklyn) and Blake Jenner (Everybody Wants Some). This was reported in mid-January with a plan to screen test the above-mentioned actors for Lord and Miller. Though a decision was expected a few weeks after that, we’ve yet to hear any confirmations. Expect news on that front closer to the fourth-quarter release of Rogue One in order to drive up interest in fans who want to glimpse the new Han Solo. Now, we can also look forward to seeing the next iteration of a younger Chewbacca!
And here’s more on the Han Solo story:
- ‘Star Wars': Actor Shortlist Revealed for Young Han Solo Spinoff
- Will ‘The Force Awakens’ Success Convince Disney to Release Future ‘Star Wars’ Movies in December?
- ‘Star Wars’: How Do You Cast a Young Han Solo? Lawrence Kasdan Responds
- Lawrence Kasdan Talks ‘Star Wars: Episode VIII’ and Beyond, Young Han Solo Movie
- ‘Star Wars’: Over 2,500 Actors Have Auditioned for the Young Han Solo Spinoff
- ‘Star Wars’: Lawrence Kasdan Says ‘The Force Awakens’ “Tickles” Him; Reveals Origins of New Films