‘Star Wars: Rogue One’ Director Gareth Edwards Speaks Up About Those Reshoot Rumors

     June 23, 2016

Between Suicide Squad and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, if there’s one thing this year has taught us (besides the fact that Jai Courtney might have been secretly awesome this whole time), it’s that reshoot rumors can be nasty business for a film trying to earn good buzz. With regard to Rogue One, there have been murmurs of trouble in Lucasfilm paradise since mid-May, when reports surfaced that Disney’s first Star Wars solo film was testing poorly, and since Disney don’t play, the film would undergo extensive reshoots over the summer.

Lo and behold, a few months and a lot of rumors later, Rogue One is in the midst of five weeks of reshoots with Michael Clayton helmer Tony Gilroy re-tooling the script and directing second unit for a planned end date ahead of the July 15th Star Wars Celebration. But what is the nature of those reshoots? Is it the major tonal overhaul reports have suggested, or simply some pre-planned additional footage as the studio insists? We’ve heard from studio sources who claim the reshoots are simply minor moments and from co-star Mads Mikkelson, who insists that Rogue One is “the same film”, but today brings word from director Gareth Edwards himself and Lucasfilm chief Kathleen Kennedy, and naturally they’re downplaying the severity of the reshoots.


rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-imperial-walker

Image via Lucasfilm

“I mean it was always part of the plan to do reshoots. We always knew we were coming back somewhere to do stuff. We just didn’t know what it would be until we started sculpting the film in the edit,” Edwards told EW.

He continued, saying that the shots were “all little things within the preexisting footage,” and that getting the large ensemble cast back together has been the biggest hurdle. “Obviously, you’ve got to work around everyone’s schedule, and everyone’s on different films all over the world, and so it’s a bit of a logistical nightmare,” he said. “That’s why I think it’s been blown out of proportion a little bit.”

Kennedy backed Edwards’ play, insisting that the story itself isn’t changing and the film will still have the Band of Brothers, war story tone promised at last year’s Celebration. “There’s nothing about the story that’s changing, with a few things that we’re picking up in additional photography,” she said. “I think that’s the most important thing, to reassure fans that it’s the movie we intended to make.”


rogue-one-star-wars-story-trailer-image-03

Image via Lucasfilm

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story opens December 16th and also stars Diego Luna,Forest Whitaker, Donnie Yen, Alan Tudyk, Riz Ahmed, and Ben Mendelsohn.

So what do you guys think? Is this your standard big-budget additional photography, or a great round of damage control? Sound off in the comments.

Click here for all things Star Wars, and catch up with more of the latest Rogue One news in the links below.


rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-ben-mendelsohn

Image via Lucasfilm

felicity-jones-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story

Image via Lucasfilm


rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-death-star

Image via Lucasfilm

star-wars-rogue-one-cast-image

Image via Lucasfilm

rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-poster


Latest News

Close