While many figured that Godzilla director Gareth Edwards’ next film would be a Godzilla sequel given the monster pic’s success at the box office a few weeks ago, we were taken aback last week when it was announced that he will instead be directing the first Star Wars spinoff film. We still don’t know anything about the nature of the spinoff, but Lucasfilm also announced that The Book of Eli and After Earth screenwriter Gary Whitta will be penning the screenplay. As a December 16, 2016 release date is already set for the untitled pic, Edwards and Whitta are getting to work straight away, and the latter recently shared an image on Twitter of the two standing in front of their “new boss”, Lord Vader. The photo reveals nothing about the film, but it’s clear that both are eager to dive deep into the Star Wars universe.
Hit the jump to take a look at the image in full. Before the spinoff hits theaters, Lucasfilm and Disney will release Star Wars: Episode VII on December 18, 2015.
— Gary Whitta (@garywhitta) May 28, 2014
Click here to catch up on all of our Star Wars coverage thus far, or peruse the recent links below:
- STAR WARS Spinoff to Be Directed by GODZILLA Helmer Gareth Edwards; December 16, 2016 Release Set
- J.J. Abrams Shares Video from the STAR WARS Set Offering Fans the Chance to Cameo in the Film
- See J.J. Abrams’ Note to the STAR WARS Cast and Crew
- STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Has Started Filming
- Writer-Producer Simon Kinberg Talks STAR WARS REBELS, His Duties on the Show, and the Thrill of Writing for Original Trilogy Characters
- Disney Planning “At Least” Three STAR WARS Spinoff Films
- Rumored Working Title for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Revealed
- J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan Deliver a STAR WARS Day Message; Say They’re Still Working on the Script and Casting