If you’re looking for insight into how a Star Wars movie gets made, prepare yourself for the feature-length documentary The Director and the Jedi, an in-depth, two-hour-and-fifteen-minute film that goes behind the scenes of Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Described as “an intimate documentary delving into Rian Johnson’s process as he comes in as a director new to the Star Wars universe,” the film comes from director Anthony Wonke, who captured all kinds of intimate moments with director Rian Johnson, how he worked with castmembers like Daisy Ridley, Mark Hamill, and the late great Carrie Fisher, and all kinds of on-set shenanigans from the cast and crew.
Get a peek at the doc in the official trailer below. In case you missed it, you can check out the first 11 minutes of The Director and the Jedi here, or you can watch the whole feature documentary in The Last Jedi bonus content, available today on Digtial and March 27 on Blu-ray.
Here’s the official synopsis for The Director and The Jedi:
“An intimate documentary delving into Rian Johnson’s process as he comes in as a director new to the Star Wars universe. A fan since childhood, he sets out to make the most powerful Star Wars movie he can. Navigating the mammoth production, the scale of which he’s never directed before, we meet his cast and crew, see their individual challenges in bringing the film together, say goodbye to Carrie Fisher, and explore the significance of Rian’s more surprising decisions. The documentary gives you a view of what it really was like to make The Last Jedi. As the team strive to do their best, what shines through is their passion and how memorable an experience it is for Rian as director.”
And here are more details on the rest of the special features you’ll find on the Blu-ray:
- The Director and the Jedi – Go deep behind the scenes with writer-director Rian Johnson on an intimate and personal journey through the production of the movie—and experience what it’s like to helm a global franchise and cultural phenomenon.
- Balance of the Force – Explore the mythology of the Force and why Rian Johnson chose to interpret its role in such a unique way.
- Scene Breakdowns
- Lighting the Spark: Creating the Space Battle – Get a close-up look at the epic space battle, from the sounds that help propel the action, through the practical and visual effects, to the characters who bring it all to life.
- Snoke and Mirrors – Motion capture and Star Wars collide as the filmmakers take us through the detailed process of creating the movie’s malevolent master villain.
- Showdown on Crait – Break down everything that went into creating the stunning world seen in the movie’s final confrontation, including the interplay between real-word locations and visual effects, reimagining the walkers, designing the crystal foxes, and much more.
- Andy Serkis Live! (One Night Only) – Writer-director Rian Johnson presents two exclusive sequences from the movie featuring Andy Serkis’ riveting, raw on-set performance before his digital makeover into Snoke.
- Deleted Scenes – With an introduction and optional commentary by writer-director Rian Johnson.
- Audio Commentary – View the movie with in-depth feature audio commentary by writer-director Rian Johnson.