While at Comic-Con last week, I landed at exclusive video interview with writer-director Stuart Beattie for his graphic novel adaptation I, Frankenstein. The film stars Aaron Eckhart as a modern-day version of the creature who is being hunted by demons who want to learn the secret of his creation. I, Frankenstein also stars Yvonne Strahovski, Bill Nighy, Socratis Otto, Miranda Otto, and Jai Courtney. The film opens in 3D on January 24th, 2014.
During the interview, Beattie talked about finally getting to show some footage, the plot and tone, the editing process, the running time, films that are similar in tone, Easter Eggs, working with Eckhart, the status of a sequel to Tomorrow, When the War Began, future projects, and much more. Hit the jump to watch.
- 0:17 – His thoughts on finally getting to lift the veil on the movie.
- 1:04 – A description of the sizzle reel shown at Comic-Con
- 1:34 – Talking about the plot and tone of the film
- 2:55 – The length of the assembly cut
- 3:13 – The length of the current cut
- 3:29 – Content left on the editing room floor and choosing what to cut
- 4:18 – Films that are similar in tone
- 5:04 – Easter eggs
- 5:34 – His 2010 film Tomorrow, When the War Began and why there probably won’t be a sequel
- 6:22 – Scripts he’s written that he would really love to make
- 7:40 – The kinds of movies are studios looking to make
- 8:47 – His response as a writer when people are looking for those kinds of scripts
- 9:51 – The experience of working with Aaron Eckhart
- 11:35 – Choosing digital over film for this movie