A couple weeks ago, Warner Bros. released the first Suicide Squad trailer (what was released at Comic-Con last summer was a sizzle reel; those tend to be longer and they never play in theaters), and it will probably land in our Best Trailers of 2016 list. It was incredibly well made, and got the marketing buzz on the film off to a good start. Naturally, the studio wants to keep that going, and they want people to stay tuned on all platforms, including social media.
If that’s the case, you have to give the people something new, even if it’s just a few seconds. Instead, this new Suicide Squad clip doesn’t contain any new footage, which is insulting to fans who are hungry to see more of the film. You have to reward people if you’re going to be cluttering up their feed, and this little Instagram post doesn’t seem like much of a reward for people who are clamoring to see a team of supervillains get together and wreak some mayhem:
Again, it’s not like you have to give away the whole plot of the film or anything, but you have to do something more than an incredibly abbreviated version of the trailer.
Suicide Squad opens August 5th and stars Will Smith, Margot Robbie, Jared Leto, Jai Courtney, Joel Kinnaman, Cara Delevingne, Viola Davis, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Adam Beach, Jay Hernandez, and Karen Fukahara.
For more of our coverage on Suicide Squad, take a look at some recent news items below:
- ‘Suicide Squad’ Trailer Broken Down by DC Entertainment Know-It-Alls
- DC Collectibles Brings the Crazy with Its ‘Suicide Squad’ Lineup
- ‘Suicide Squad’: Over 80 New Images from the Trailer Reveal More of the Insanity
- ‘Suicide Squad’: Jared Leto’s Ambitious Joker Performance Teased by David Ayer, Zack Snyder
- ‘Suicide Squad’: The Gang’s All Here in The Latest Teaser Poster