The Sundance Film Festival has added Silent House to its 2011 lineup. Silent House is a remake of a Uruguayan horror film, which centers on a father and daughter who spend the night in an old house when they hear a sound that seems to be coming from upstairs. Elizabeth Olsen, Adam Trese, Eric Sheffer Stevens, Julia Taylor Ross, Haley Murphy, and Adam Barnett star.
Chris Kentis and Laura Lau (Open Water) reportedly filmed Silent House in a single continuous shot to capture the growing panic. I’m a sucker for technique, but that’s enough to hook me. Hit the jump for the official press release.
2011 SUNDANCE FILM FESTIVAL ADDS SILENT HOUSE TO LINE UP
Filmmaking duo Chris Kentis and Laura Lau Return to Festival with Psychological Thriller
PARK CITY, UT — Sundance Institute announced today that filmmakers Chris Kentis and Laura Lau (Open Water) will return to the Sundance Film Festival with their latest feature, Silent House, which will have its world premiere in the out-of-competition Park City at Midnight section.
The Sundance Film Festival runs January 20-30, 2011 in Park City, Salt Lake City, Ogden and Sundance, Utah. The complete list of films is available at www.sundance.org/festival.
Following Open Water, which screened at the 2004 Sundance Film Festival, filmmaking duo Chris Kentis and Laura Lau once again confront the face of fear in this enthralling psychological thriller. Impressively captured with a continuous camera shot, Silent House tracks the growing panic of its enigmatic lead, Elizabeth Olsen, who’s trapped in an unnerving nightmare. Never ones to be limited by a challenging production, Kentis and Lau mastermind a truly unique horror experience with immediate intimacy and unsettling terror.
With the addition of this film, the Festival will present 118 feature-length films, representing 29 countries by 40 first-time filmmakers, including 25 in competition. These films were selected from 3,812 feature-length film submissions composed of 1,943 U.S. and 1,869 international feature-length films. 95 films at the Festival will be world premieres.
Silent House / U.S.A. (Directors: Chris Kentis & Laura Lau; Screenwriter: Laura Lau) — A hauntingly choreographed descent into madness based on the Uruguayan film La Casa Muda. Cast: Elizabeth Olsen, Adam Trese, Eric Sheffer Stevens, Julia Taylor Ross, Haley Murphy, Adam Barnett. World Premiere
And here are links to the first images from other films playing at Sundance:
- Another Earth (starring William Mapother, Brit Marling, and Jordan Baker)
- Benavides Born (starring Corina Calderon, Jeremy Ray Valdez, and Joseph Julian Soria)
- Cedar Rapids (starring John C. Reilly, Ed Helms, and Sigourney Weaver)
- Circumstance (starring Nikohl Boosheri, Sarah Kazemy, and Reza Sixo Safai)
- The Convincer (starring Greg Kinnear, Billy Crudup, and Alan Arkin)
- The Details (starring Tobey Maguire, Elizabeth Banks, and Laura Linney)
- The Devil’s Double (starring Dominic Cooper, Ludivine Sagnier, and Mimoun Oaissa)
- HERE (starring Ben Foster, Lubna Azabal and Narek Nersisyan)
- Higher Ground (starring Vera Farmiga, John Hawkes, and Dagmara Dominczyk)
- Homework (starring Freddie Highmore, Emma Roberts, and Michael Angarano)
- I Melt With You (starring Rob Lowe, Thomas Jane, and Jeremy Piven)
- The Ledge (starring Charlie Hunnam, Liv Tyler, Patrick Wilson, Terrence Howard, Christopher Gorham)
- Life in a Day (directed by Kevin Macdonald, produced by Ridley Scott)
- Like Crazy (starring Anton Yelchin, Felicity Jones, Jennifer Lawrence, Charlie Bewley, Alex Kingston)
- Little Birds (starring Juno Temple, Kay Panabaker, Leslie Mann, Kate Bosworth, and Kyle Gallner)
- Margin Call (starring Kevin Spacey, Zachary Quinto, and Paul Bettany)
- Martha Marcy May Marlene (starring Elizabeth Olsen, Hugh Dancy, and John Hawkes)
- The Music Never Stopped (starring J.K. Simmons, Julia Ormond, and Cara Seymour)
- My Idiot Brother (starring Paul Rudd, Elizabeth Banks, and Zooey Deschanel)
- On The Ice (starring Josiah Patkotak, Frank Qutuq Irelan, Teddy Kyle Smith, Adamina Kerr, and Sierra Jade Sampson)
- Pariah (starring Adepero Oduye, Pernell Walker and Kim Wayans)
- Perfect Sense (starring Ewan McGregor, Eva Green, and Ewen Bremner)
- Red State (directed by Kevin Smith; Starring Michael Parks, John Goodman, and Melissa Leo)
- Salvation Boulevard (starring Pierce Brosnan, Jennifer Connelly, and Ed Harris)
- The Son of No One (starring Channing Tatum, Al Pacino, and Juliette Binoche)
- Terri (starring Jacob Wysocki, John C. Reilly, and Creed Bratton)
- Win Win (starring Paul Giamatti, Amy Ryan, and Jeffrey Tambor)