Earlier today I got to talk with the three people behind the Sundance movie Skateland: Brandon Freeman, Heath Freeman and Anthony Burns. While some Sundance movies have big money backing their project, Brandon Freeman, Heath Freeman and Anthony Burns not only produced Skateland, they also wrote the film and Anthony Burns directed it.
The film takes place in a small Texas town in the early 80’s and it’s about a 19 year-old skating rink manager who comes to see his life in a new light. The film stars Ashley Greene, Taylor Handley, Heath Freeman and Shiloh Fernandez.
During my interview with the filmmakers, we discussed how the project came together, getting the project funded, the music, Sundance, and a lot more. Hit the jump to watch it:
Finally, before Sundance we posted a bunch of images from Skateland, but they haven’t yet released any clips or a trailer. When any other promotional assetts are released, you can an update.
And if you’re at Sundance or in the surrounding area, Skateland plays again Friday and Saturday, although it might be sold out. Here’s where to go for more info on getting into a screening.
Brandon Freeman, Heath Freeman and Anthony Burns
- How did the project came together and what was the inspiration behind the film
- Did they look at Dazed and Confused and other period films when they were writing Skateland
- How hard was it for financing and getting the film off the ground
- When did they first find out they got into Sundance and what that meant to them
- Soundtrack talk – How hard was it to land the songs
- Deleted scenes talk – They also voice their opinions on directors cuts and extended cuts
- Did Heath Freeman know while writing he’d be in the movie
- What are they working on now
- What do they want to tell people about their film