After rumblings and rumors for years, there’s finally some real momentum on Super Troopers 2. Steve interviewed the guys of Broken Lizard—Jay Chandrasekhar, Kevin Heffernan, Steve Lemme, Paul Soter, and Erik Stolhanske—and learned a ton about the film, which has secured distribution from 20th Century Fox, but now needs funding via Indiegogo at supertroopers2movie.com
What sets Super Troopers 2 apart from Veronica Mars, which earned my ire and suspicion when it raised money despite having distribution from Warner Bros, is that some reward levels will include a ticket to see Broken Lizard’s film in a movie theater. You’re paying in advance for a movie you want to see, and helping the film get made. And at the higher donation levels, there are some spectacular rewards.
If you’ve got the scratch, you can get the guys to be your bridesmaids or groomsmen, and they’ll do it in character. Another reward level will get you one of the cars used in the movie. Of course, there are lower reward levels as well, but you can see that the gang is really willing to go the distance to get the picture finally made.
In addition to telling Steve about some of the rewards, the guys revealed that they hope to shoot this summer, that the story picks up about a year after the events of the first film (there will be an acknowledgement that the guys have aged far more than a year), what it took to get the movie to its current status, and update on Potfest and Ambulance Chasers, and much more.
Click over to the Indiegogo page to watch the guys reprise their characters and pitch the sequel. If you’re convinced, then be sure to donate meow.
Here’s the interview followed by a time index of the interview.
- 0:18 – What it took to get to the film’s current status.
- 1:08 – The amazing Indiegogo perks they’ll be offering.
- 2:24 – How much the script has changed during development and how much has been finalized.
- 4:16 – The film will acknowledge that everyone has aged more than a year
- 4:53 – Fake or real moustaches.
- 5:50 – When they’re planning to shoot.
- 8:09 – The right and wrong way to play the “Meow Game”, and times they’ve heard it done..
- 11:17 – Teasing jokes and scenes from Super Troopers 2.
- 11:57 – The studio’s involvement in the film.
- 13:21 – Fan reaction to the possibility of a sequel; funders will receive tickets.
- 16:04 – How a car from the movie will be one of the rewards.
- 16:45 – Stolhanske talks about posing as an officer.
- 17:52 – Possible cameos.
- 18:37 – Where they’re planning to shoot.
- 19:10 – Status of Ambulance Chasers and Potfest.
- 19:57 – What they learned from other crowdfunding campaigns.