I’m a bit embarrassed to admit this, but I didn’t know this was Superman’s 75th anniversary. But now I know, and I’m happy to report that DC Comics and Warner Bros. will spend the next year honoring the iconic superhero. Zack Snyder‘s Man of Steel is obviously the biggest part of the 75th anniversary, but there are plans beyond the summer blockbuster. Most notably, Snyder and Bruce Timm (Superman: The Animated Series) will be creating an animated short film honoring the character’s history. According to Heat Vision, details are being kept under wraps, but sources says Snyder envisions the short as “one continuous shot, without edits, that’s an homage to the Man of Steel and his many iterations over the past 75 years” all the way through Man of Steel. I wonder if the short will all be done in Timm’s art style. Man of Steel storyboard artist Jay Oliva, as well as DC’s Geoff Johns and Mike Carlin and WB Animation’s Peter Girardi will also participate, and the short will debut at Comic-Con. Warners and DC will also continue honoring the Last Son of Krypton with a series of comic books throughout the 75th anniversary, at which point they’ll turn to honoring Batman’s diamond anniversary.
To keep your Superman fix going, hit the jump to check out a new behind-the-scenes featurette, which contains new footage. Man of Steel opens in 3D on June 14th.
Here’s the official synopsis for Man of Steel:
In the pantheon of superheroes, Superman is the most recognized and revered character of all time. Clark Kent/Kal-El (Cavill) is a young twenty-something journalist who feels alienated by powers beyond anyone’s imagination. Transported to Earth years ago from Krypton, an advanced alien planet, Clark struggles with the ultimate question – Why am I here? Shaped by the values of his adoptive parents Martha (Lane) and Jonathan Kent (Costner), Clark soon discovers that having super abilities means making very difficult decisions. But when the world needs stability the most, it comes under attack. Will his abilities be used to maintain peace or ultimately used to divide and conquer? Clark must become the hero known as “Superman,” not only to shine as the world’s last beacon of hope but to protect the ones he loves.
Click here to catch up on all of our Man of Steel coverage, or browse the links below:
- Three More TV Spots for MAN OF STEEL
- MAN OF STEEL Star Henry Cavill Thinks a Superman/Batman Movie Would Make a “Great Story”
- 17 High-Resolution Images from MAN OF STEEL
- Zack Snyder, Christopher Nolan, and David S. Goyer Talk MAN OF STEEL and Their Take on Superman; Describe the Film as Sci-Fi
- 20 New Images from MAN OF STEEL Featuring Skull Mountains and Heat Vision
- Final Trailer for MAN OF STEEL Features General Zod’s Ultimatum and a Mountain of Skulls
- 3 Character Posters plus a New Featurette for MAN OF STEEL
- 3 New Featurettes and TV Spot for MAN OF STEEL
- Check Out Some of Warner Bros.’ Merchandise for MAN OF STEEL Plus a Close Up Look at the Superman Suit
- New MAN OF STEEL TV Spot Reveals Awesome New Footage
- Two New Posters for MAN OF STEEL
- MAN OF STEEL Calendar Unveils New Images; Henry Cavill Calls the Film “Zack Snyder’s Baby”
- MAN OF STEEL to Screen Early at Los Angeles Film Festival
- New Banner for MAN OF STEEL
- Listen to a Full Track from Hans Zimmer’s MAN OF STEEL Score
- Superman Takes Flight in New Poster for MAN OF STEEL
- MAN OF STEEL Director Zack Snyder Talks Superman’s Flying and His “Ancient” Approach to Designing Krypton