Warner Bros. released the first TV spot for Man of Steel tonight during the college basketball championship*. It confirms the main takeways of the trailers: director Zack Snyder makes stylish use of a couple hundred million dollars, and star Henry Cavill sure does look the part. (Cavill, casually aflame, shirtless, is the coolest thing I’ve seen all week.) It’s the story that will make or break the movie, but Superman comes pre-made as a compelling character, so I have high hopes for Man of Steel when it opens on June 14.
Amy Adams, Kevin Costner, Diane Lane, Michael Shannon, Laurence Fishburne, Antje Traue, Ayelet Zurer, and Russell Crowe also star. Watch the spot after the break.
Click here to catch up on all of our Man of Steel coverage, or browse the links below:
- New Trailer for Zack Snyder’s MAN OF STEEL Starring Henry Cavill
- WonderCon: MAN OF STEEL Action Figure Images Featuring Superman, Jor-El, Zod, and Faora
- Screenwriter David S. Goyer Talks About How He Got Involved with MAN OF STEEL and His Reaction to Seeing the Finished Film
- Zack Snyder Calls His Superman “More Relatable, More Human”
- Early Screening Buzz for MAN OF STEEL Highly Positive; Teases “Tons of Action” and All-CG Cape
In the pantheon of superheroes, Superman is the most recognized and revered character of all time. Clark Kent/Kal-El (Cavill) is a young twentysomething journalist who feels alienated by powers beyond anyone’s imagination. Transported to Earth years ago from Krypton, an advanced alien planet, Clark struggles with the ultimate question – Why am I here? Shaped by the values of his adoptive parents Martha (Lane) and Jonathan Kent (Costner), Clark soon discovers that having super abilities means making very difficult decisions. But when the world needs stability the most, it comes under attack. Will his abilities be used to maintain peace or ultimately used to divide and conquer? Clark must become the hero known as “Superman,” not only to shine as the world’s last beacon of hope but to protect the ones he loves.