Word on the Jimi Hendrix biopic All Is by My Side has been relatively quiet lately, but after John Ridley won an Oscar for his 12 Years a Slave screenplay, it’s no wonder that Ridley’s new project is getting a push. The biopic, written and directed by Ridley, stars Andre Benjamin/Andre 3000 in the role of the legendary rocker. The film’s first clip is now available, and it features Benjamin alongside co-star Imogen Poots, who plays groupie Linda Keith.
Also starring Hayley Atwell, Ashley Charles, and Ruth Negga, All Is by My Side opens August 8th in the U.K.; the film does not yet have a U.S. release date. Hit the jump to watch the clip.
Domestic rights have been acquired for the following films:
- Words and Pictures – Roadside Attractions has snapped up U.S. rights for Fred Schepisi’s romantic dramedy starring Clive Owen (Sin City) and Juliette Binoche (Chocolat).
- All Is by My Side – Open Road Films and Xlerator Media land domestic distribution rights for writer-director John Ridley’s Jimi Hendix biopic starring André Benjamin (The Great Gatsby), Hayley Atwell (Captain America: The First Avenger) and Imogen Poots (28 Weeks Later).
- The Sacrament – Magnolia Pictures is finalizing a reported seven-figure deal for Ti West’s found-footage horror-thriller starring Joe Swanberg (V/H/S), Amy Seimetz (Upstream Color) and AJ Bowen (You’re Next).
Hit the jump for more.
The 2013 Toronto International Film Festival has made the final touches on its line-up, and made some nice additions. For the first time, TIFF will have movies in IMAX. The films that will be going big are Gravity, Man of Tai Chi, Metallica Through the Never, and The Wizard of Oz. All of these movies except Man of Tai Chi will also be in 3D. Other additions include Claire Denis‘ Bastards, a conversation with Spike Jonze and a preview of his new film Her (the full film is scheduled to debut as the closer at the New York Film Festival), Ron Howard‘s Jay-Z documentary Made in America, and more.
Hit the jump for the new additions. The 2013 Toronto International Film Festival runs from September 5 – 15th.
The Toronto International Film Festival has announced part of its line-up for 2013. The festival will kick off with Bill Condon’s Julian Assange movie, The Fifth Estate, and close with Daniel Schecter’s Jackie Brown prequel, Life of Crime. In between, you have the premieres of Ron Howard’s Rush; Jason Reitman’s Labor Day starring Josh Brolin and Kate Winslet; Steve McQueen’s 12 Years a Slave starring Chiwetel Ejiofor and Michael Fassbender; Richard Ayoade’s The Double starring Jesse Eisenberg; David Gordon Green’s Joe starring Nicolas Cage; Atom Egoyan’s West Memphis Three movie Devil’s Knot starring Colin Firth and Reese Witherspoon; the North American premiere of Alfonso Cuaron’s Gravity, and many more. Even the Mike Meyer’s documentary Supermensch that we reported on yesterday will be on hand, so it looks like he’s already completed it. Unfortunately, I’m sure TIFF will front-load their schedule like they always do, so there will be plenty of tough choices, but Gravity and 12 Years a Slave are the must-sees that immediately jump to mind.
Hit the jump for a list of the Galas and Special Presentations. Please note that there are plenty of other categories that will be announced soon including the full Midnight Madness, Documentary, and Masters line-up so stay tuned. The 2013 Toronto International Film Festival runs from September 5 – 15th.
I am stoked to see Andre Benjamin (aka Andre 3000) as Jimi Hendrix in the biopic All Is by My Side. The Outkast frontman has the musical chops and (more importantly) the cool to pull off Hendrix, but unfortunately we will not get to see the full Hendrix experience. Experience Hendrix LLC, the stewards of the Hendrix estate, issued a statement last month that declared no film could use the Hendrix catalog without full participation from Experience Hendrix LLC. Writer/director John Ridley found a workaround by setting the story in London 1966-1967, shortly before the release of Hendrix’s debut album, Are You Experienced. Instead, Benjamin will cover The Beatles, Muddy Waters, and more in All Is by My Side. Hit the jump for a list of the songs and a few new set photos.
Tonight, casting agents found actors most of their supporting roles based on real-life people:
- Ashley Charles will play Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards in the Jimi Hendrix biopic All Is By My Side, led by Andre 3000 as Hendrix.
- Martin Scorsese cast Margot Robbie as the female lead opposite Leonardo DiCaprio in The Wolf of Wall Street, based on a memoir by Jordan Belfort.
- Seth Meriwether signed on to play one of the West Memphis Three in Devil’s Knot.
- Donal Logue will play the right hand man of CBGB owner Hilly Kristal (Alan Rickman) in CBGB.
Hit the jump for details on each project.
The first images of Outkast member Andre Benjamin (aka Andre 3000) as Jimi Hendrix have surfaced online. He’s playing the legendary guitarist in a biopic called All Is By My Side, which is currently filming in Dublin. The actor certainly has the physical resemblance down, but we don’t yet know if his acting ability is up to snuff. The film also stars Imogen Poots and Hayley Atwell, and the set photos here also include a brief shot of the latter. John Ridley wrote the script and is directing the pic, which will utilize interviews with the musician and archival footage of Hendrix to anchor the film’s structure.
Hit the jump to check out the images. [Update: We've removed the unofficial images.]