In the indie comedy Ass Backwards, Kate (June Diane Raphael) and Chloe (Casey Wilson) are two childhood best friends who met when they placed dead last in their hometown beauty pageant. Even though they are now all grown up and living in New York City, when they receive an invitation to return to their hometown pageant, they decide to take a roadtrip that quickly becomes a zany journey to reclaim the crown.
During this recent exclusive interview with Collider, co-writers/co-stars Casey Wilson and June Diane Raphael talked about how the idea for this film came about, what brought the road trip aspect together with the beauty pageant aspect, how they knew they made a good writing team, how they view Kate and Chloe’s friendship, finding the right director to hand their script over to, and how they’re currently writing two TV pilots, one for ABC called DINKS (that Raphael also plans to act in) and one at NBC called The Mason Twins. Wilson also talked about her experience working on the David Fincher film Gone Girl, while Raphael talked about how doing a small role in Anchorman 2 was one of the best experiences of her life. Check out what they had to say after the jump.
The first trailer for the comedy Ass Backwards has been released online. Directed by Chris Nelson, the film tells the story of two childhood best friends (Casey Wilson and June Diane Raphael) who first met at a beauty pageant where they placed dead last. Now underachieving adults, the two receive an invitation to return to their hometown to attend an anniversary pageant, and they see the opportunity to prove everyone wrong and win the crown. There’s a strong Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion vibe in this trailer, and the comedic pairing of Wilson and Rapahel (who also co-wrote the film together) is definitely promising.
Hit the jump to watch the trailer. The film also stars Alicia Silverstone, Jon Cryer, Vincent D’Onofrio, Brian Geraghty, Bob Odenkirk, Paul Scheer, and Sandy Martin. Ass Backwards will be available VOD on September 30th and hits theaters on November 8th.
A variety of new posters has been released online. Briefly:
- The Secret Life of Walter Mitty – Director/star Ben Stiller defies gravity in the first poster for his promising adventure comedy. The film also stars Kristen Wiig and Adam Scott and opens on December 25th.
- Gravity – Speaking of gravity, a new poster for director Alfonso Cuaron’s space-set pic shows off half of the cast as we see George Clooney’s astronaut character. Sandra Bullock leads the film, which opens on October 4th.
- All Is Lost – The first poster for J.C. Chandor’s (Margin Call) survival drama puts star Robert Redford in a tight situation. The film opens on October 18th.
- Ass Backwards – The debut poster for the Sundance comedy, starring Casey Wilson and June Diane Raphael. The film will be availabl VOD on September 30th and hits theaters on November 8th.
Hit the jump to take a look at the posters.
The 2013 Sundance Film Festival is in the midst of unveiling its lineups, and today we’ve got the first images from some films that will be playing as part of the Park City at Midnight program. Briefly:
- Ass Backwards – Directed by Chris Nelson, written by June Diane Raphael and Casey Wilson, starring Raphael, Wilson, Vincent D’Onofrio, Alicia Silverstone, Jon Cryer, and Brian Geraghty.
- Hell Baby – Written and directed by Robert Ben Garant and Thomas Lennon, starring Rob Corddry, Leslie Bibb, Keegan Michael Key, Riki Lindhome, Paul Scheer, and Rob Huebel.
- In Fear – Directed and story by Jeremy Lovering, starring Alice Englert, Iain De Caestecker, and Allen Leech.
- kink – Directed by Christina Voros.
Hit the jump to check out the images and synopses. The 2013 Sundance Film Festival runs from January 17 – 27.
Yesterday the 2013 Sundance Film Festival announced the lineup for films competing in the Dramatic and Documentary categories, and today they’ve unveiled the films that will screen in the Spotlight, Park City at Midnight, and New Frontier programs. Films of note include Take Shelter director Jeff Nichols’ new film Mud starring Matthew McConaughey and Reese Witherspoon, the U.S. premiere of Ben Wheatley’s Sightseers, the Robert Ben Garant/Thomas Lennon comedy Hell Baby, and the horror anthology sequel S-VHS.
Hit the jump to see the full lineup, and click here to check out all of our Sundance coverage thus far. The 2013 Sundance Film Festival runs January 17 – 27.
We’ve got another round up of stuff from the American Film Market to share with you today in the way of promo posters for Ass Backwards, Thunder Run, and Carnaval. Thunder Run is the 3D motion-capture war film starring Gerard Butler, Sam Worthington, and Matthew McConaughey. Directed by Simon West (Con Air), the film centers on the 2003 capture of Baghdad. The comedy Ass Backwards stars Alicia Silverstone, Jon Cryer, Casey Wilson (Happy Endings) and Vincent D’Onofrio and centers on two best friends who head back to their hometown in an attempt to win a pageant they never won as children.
Carnaval stars John Cusack and Johnny Knoxville and centers on a sports scout (Cusack) who is forced to head down to Rio de Janeiro to recruit the world’s top soccer player. The scout’s best friend (Knoxville) comes along for the trip, and hijinks ensue. Josh Stern (Swing Vote) will direct. Hit the jump to check out the promo posters.