Back in early May, I got to visit the set of Underworld: Awakening when the production was filming in Vancouver. While on set, I got to participate in a group interview with Stunt Coordinator/Second Unit Director Brad Martin. Here’s some of the highlights:
- There are three big set pieces: one in a stairwell when Kate is fighting in her prime, one in The Coven where the vampires are attacked underground by the werewolves, and one in a parking structure.
- In the opening battle of the film, which shows us what happens before Selene wakes up in the future, we see her take on humans for the first time.
- For Beckinsale’s fighting style, he says there are certain kinds that don’t work, like Kung-fu and Wu-Shu. Her fighting style has a bit of Aikido and some Bourne Identity-type stuff in an anime way.
- To account for the 3D, they found that it’s not good to have a lot of quick-cutting, so they opted for longer movements and shots.
- With the wire-work, he kept it more reality-based and didn’t want a lot of “floating.”
- There’s a CG uber-Lycan, so Beckinsale had to interact a lot with the stunt guys.
Hit the jump for the full interview.