Now available on VOD and coming to theaters this weekend is Eugenio Mira‘s ambitious, highly stylized thriller Grand Piano. The films centers on Tom Selznick (Elijah Wood), a brilliant pianist making his highly publicized return to the stage after flubbing a major concert years prior. He learns the true meaning of stage fright when he discovers a note from a calculating sniper (John Cusack) scrawled in his sheet music – “Play one wrong note and you die.” Captive in a packed theater with nowhere to run, Selznick must either figure out how to beat the sniper at his own game or die trying.
Earlier this week I spoke with Wood in an exclusive phone interview. He talked about why he was attracted to Grand Piano and the technical challenges of shooting the film. He also talked about his production company SpectreVision, premiering Cooties and A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night at Sundance this year, the fantastic poster Jay Shaw designed for Cooties, his hopes for the serial killer trilogy The Boy, developing the zombie film Curse the Darkness with director Jorge Michel Grau, and more. Check out what he had to say after the jump.
Check out new posters from the following films:
- The Single Moms Club – Writer-director Tyler Perry’s dramedy starring Nia Long, Amy Smart, Terry Crews, and Wendi McLendon-Covey opens March 14th.
- Mr. Peabody & Sherman – DreamWorks Animation’s feature film directed by Rob Minkoff and featuring the voices of Ty Burrell and Max Charles for the title characters opens March 7th.
- Cooties – Directed by Cary Murnion and Jonathan Millott; starring Elijah Wood, Rainn Wilson, Alison Pill, Jack McBrayer, Leigh Whannell, and Nasim Pedrad, opening October 10th.
- The Double - Richard Ayoade‘s dark comedy starring Jesse Eisenberg, Mia Wasikowska, Wallace Shawn, Yasmin Paige, Noah Taylor, James Fox, Cathy Moriarty, Chris O’Dowd, Sally Hawkins, Craig Roberts, and Paddy Considine opens April 4th in the U.K.
- Wish I Was Here – Zach Braff’s Kickstarted movie starring Adam Braff, Kate Hudson, Mandy Patinkin, Josh Gad, Ashley Greene, and Joey King, opening in September.
- Need for Speed – Scott Waugh’s video game adaptation starring Aaron Paul, Dakota Johnson, Dominic Cooper, Imogen Poots, Kid Cudi, and Michael Keaton opens March 14th.
Hit the jump to check out the new posters.
The 2014 Sundance Film Festival is in the midst of unveiling its lineup, and today the festival announced the films that will be screening as part of the Park City at Midnight series. We now have first-look images and synopses for a collection of said films:
- The Guest – Directed by Adam Wingard; starring Dan Stevens, Maika Monroe, Leland Orser, Lance Reddick, Chase Williamson, and Brendan Meyer.
- Cooties – Directed by Cary Murnion and Jonathan Millott; starring Elijah Wood, Rainn Wilson, Alison Pill, Jack McBrayer, Leigh Whannell, and Nasim Pedrad.
- Dead Snow; Red vs. Dead – Directed by Tomm Wirkola; starring Vegar Hoel, Stig Frode Henriksen, Martin Starr, Ørjan Gamst, Ingrid Haas, and Jocelyn DeBoer.
- The Babadook – Directed by Jennifer Kent; starring Essie Davis, Noah Wiseman, Daniel Henshall, Hayley McElhinney, Barbara West, and Ben Winspear.
Hit the jump to check out images and synopses for the aforementioned films. The 2014 Sundance Film Festival runs January 16 – 26th.
Yesterday, the Sundance Film Festival announced the lineup for the 2014 in-competition films. Today, the fest has unveiled the list of films that will screen as part of the Park City and Midnight, Spotlight, New Frontier, and the new Sundance Kids categories. The films include You’re Next director Adam Wingard and screenwriter Simon Barrett’s new film The Guest, director Tommy Wirkola’s Dead Snow; Red vs. Dead, director Jim Jarmusch’s Only Lovers Left Alive, director Richard Ayoade’s The Double, the Tom Hardy film Locke, and more. Hit the jump to take a look at the full lineup. The 2014 Sundance Film Festival runs January 16 – 26th.
Here’s today’s latest casting news:
- Elijah Wood’s production of the Leigh Whannell-scripted horror-comedy Cooties has added Alison Pill (Scott Pilgrim vs the World) and Rainn Wilson (The Office) in addition to Wood. Filming kicks off on Monday, July 15th.
- Max Landis’ directorial debut Me Him Her has added a trio of cast members: Dustin Milligan (Slither), Luke Bracey (G.I. Joe: Retaliation) and Emily Meade (Trespass).
Hit the jump for more on both pictures.
A couple of quick casting announcements:
- Elijah Wood (The Lord of the Rings Trilogy) will produce and star in the horror picture, Cooties, from screenwriter Leigh Whannell (Saw).
- Josh Duhamel (Transformers) is in negotiations to join You’re Not You, starring Hilary Swank (Boys Don’t Cry) and Emmy Rossum (The Day After Tomorrow), directed by Georce C. Wolfe (Nights in Rodanthe).
Hit the jump for more on both pictures.