Earlier this month, we reported that Skyfall director Sam Mendes was not only locked for James Bond 24, but was also looking likely for James Bond 25. This was a welcome change from his previous stand of opting out of the sequels to focus on other projects. Unfortunately, you may want to hold off on that celebratory martini. At the premiere of his stage adaptation of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Mendes spoke with HeyUGuys, and said, “In answer to the question you’re going to ask, I don’t know yet. I’m in discussion over the ‘B’ word and I won’t make any decision until this is open. It’s taken a long time to get this open and this has been my focus.”
That doesn’t mean he’s out of the running, but he’s definitely not locked down. I assume this must be a little frustrating to Bond producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson. Skyfall was the biggest hit in the franchise, and it would be nice to quickly follow up on that success. Audiences won’t lose interest in Bond, but after Skyfall, we want to see 007 sooner rather than later.
As someone whose only firsthand experience with the Star Trek franchise comes by virtue of J.J. Abrams‘ two Trek films, I know I’m in over my head when the topic presents itself. When you mention Trek, you’re referencing (either directly or indirectly) a rich legacy filled with peaks and valleys, genre-defining characters and moments, and an international fanbase that rivals any of pop-culture’s most enduring titles. And yet here I am, with two films under my belt (both of which I enjoyed), talking about it. Obviously, I have nothing at stake with regards to Star Trek Into Darkness. Whether you like it or dislike it is of no consequence to me. My only aim today is to extend a humble word of caution to the Trek fans who have years of equity built-up in their beloved franchise: be careful not to dismiss or begrudge it solely because it’s trying to appeal to the largest possible audience. Abrams’ Trek films aren’t above reproach, but they also aren’t void of redeeming qualities. Try to at least acknowledge some of those qualities when tearing into them or risk coming off as someone whose real issue is that a bunch of people now enjoy this thing that you once considered yourself unique for liking.
All preachiness aside, this week’s Top 5 includes several interviews from Star Trek Into Darkness, rumors surrounding Christopher Nolan being approached to direct James Bond 24, the first trailers for Marvel’s new ABC series Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., a new trailer for Guillermo Del Toro‘s Pacific Rim, and new photos and a video from the set of director Jose Padilha‘s RoboCop remake. If I haven’t lost you yet, a brief recap and link to each of the above can be found after the jump.
In the past, Christopher Nolan has expressed interest in directing a James Bond film. Last summer, Nolan, a long-time fan of the series, said he was serious about the prospect, but added “It would have to be the right situation and the right time in their cycle of things.” Although it is absolutely not the right time in their cycle of things, Daily Mail reports that there have been informal talks about directing James Bond 24 between Nolan and Bond producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G .Wilson. As you may recall, Broccoli and Wilson tried to get Skyfall director Sam Mendes to return, but he passed on the gig. In March, we learned that MGM wanted a new Bond movie within 3 years, so the clock is ticking to get someone in the director’s chair.
The assumption that Nolan would direct Bond 24 is preposterous because Nolan is at work on Interstellar. Pre-production is underway, roles have been cast, and a November 7, 2014 release date has been set. Unless Nolan wants to piss off everyone at Paramount and Warner Bros (the studios behind Interstellar), he’s not doing Bond 24. If there have been any informal talks, I believe they would be for James Bond 25. That would be the smart, pro-active move, but right now the focus should be (and will be) on who’s doing the 24th film.
Sam Mendes has never done a sequel, but he had never done an action movie before Skyfall, and that turned out pretty well. Today, the Daily Mail is reporting that Mendes is “’75 per cent’ of the way towards” returning for James Bond 24. In November, we reported that Mendes has reportedly dreamed up a new scenario with Skyfall screenwriter John Logan, so the director was already looking ahead even though he hadn’t officially signed on. However, in his interview with Steve, Mendes said he already did everything he wanted to do with a Bond movie in Skyfall.
Hit the jump for more on Mendes’ hesitation, if the next Bond will be a two-parter, and when we can expect to see 007′s next adventure.
After Skyfall opens next week, everyone is going to want more James Bond and want it quickly. Several days ago, we reported that producers had hired Skyfall screenwriter John Logan to write not one, but a Bond duology, and he had set to work for scripts for both movies. It would be a rare occurrence where the Bond films were linked as one big story rather than a loose connection like S.P.E.C.T.R.E. or Casino Royale to Quantum of Solace. However, star Daniel Craig, who is contracted for Bond 24 and 25, has denied rumors of linked Bond sequels.
Hit the jump for more.