We’ve got a bit of a release date shuffle concerning two of DreamWorks Animation’s upcoming pictures. Check out the information in brief below:
- Mr. Peabody & Sherman, featuring the voices of Ty Burrell (Modern Family) and Max Charles (The Three Stooges), has been pushed back from November 1, 2013 to March 7, 2014.
- Me & My Shadow, which was intended to open on March 14, 2014, has now returned to development at the studio.
Hit the jump for more on both pictures, as well as the rest of the DreamWorks Animation line-up through 2016.
DreamWorks Animation is known for being prolific, but the studio has just announced a massive 12-picture slate that runs through 2016. Here’s a brief look:
- The Croods – March 22nd, 2013
- Turbo – July 19th, 2013
- Mr. Peabody & Sherman – November 1st, 2013
- Me and My Shadow – March 14th, 2014
- How to Train Your Dragon 2 – June 20th, 2014
- Happy Smekday! – November 26th, 2014
- The Penguins of Madagascar – March 27th, 2015
- Trolls (working title) – June 5th, 2015
- B.O.O: Bureau of Otherworldy Operations – November 6th, 2015
- Mumbai Musical (working title) – December 19th, 2015
- Kung Fu Panda 3 – March 16th, 2016
- How to Train Your Dragon 3 – June 18th, 2016
Hit the jump for more details on this ambitious line-up of animated films.
We haven’t heard much about Gus Van Sant‘s Promised Land since it went into production this past April. Matt Damon was originally set to make his directorial debut on the flick, before his busy schedule prompted the actor to hand the reigns over to his Good Will Hunting director. Damon co-wrote the screenplay with John Krasinski, and the plot is described as “Capra-esque.” The story focuses on a duo of corporate salesmen (Damon and Frances McDormand) who try to prey on an economic town in decline only to have their mission complicated by the citizens they encounter. According to Deadline, Focus Features will release the film in an exclusive engagement in New York and Los Angeles on December 28th in order to qualify for awards consideration. The movie, which also stars Krasinski, Rosemarie DeWitt, Hal Holbrook, Scoot McNairy, and Titus Welliver, will then expand in January.
Hit the jump for release dates for upcoming DreamWorks Animation films.
We have two first posters tonight, along with the French poster that shows off a familiar character so badass, I just had to include it:
- Life of Pi - Suraj Sharma stars as Pi in Ang Lee‘s adaptation of the Yann Martel novel.
- Me and My Shadow - DreamWorks Animation will combine 3D CGI and 2D hand-drawn animation for this tale of a timid man (voiced by Josh Gad) and his shadow (Bill Hader).
- Taken 2 - Liam Neeson returns to conquer more kidnappers in the sequel to Taken—only this time he’s the victim.
See the posters after the jump.
Bill Hader, Kate Hudson, and Josh Gad will lend their voices to the upcoming DreamWorks Animation film Me & My Shadow. Per THR, the fantasy film stars as a bored shadow (Hader) who is tethered to a timid human (Gad), but gets the excitement he yearns for when a crime in the shadow community propels them into adventure to stop a shadowy villain from taking over the human world. Hudson will voice Grubb’s love interest in the real-world.
When we reported on the film back in December 2010, Mark Dindal (The Emperor’s New Groove) was set to direct, but he’s been replaced by How to Train Your Dragon‘s head of story, Alessandro Carloni, who will make his directing debut on Shadow. The film will blend CGI animation (the human world) with hand-drawn animation (the shadow world), and I’m excited to see the result. Me & My Shadow is due out November 13, 2013.
DreamWorks Animation has announced their schedule through 2014 and it’s loaded with both original projects and sequels. As far as sequels, the studio has three planned and they include Kung Fu Panda 2, Madagascar 3 and How to Train Your Dragon 2. While I’m very excited for a sequel to How to Train Your Dragon, some of their upcoming original projects also sound great. The two that immediately stand out are Me and My Shadow (which will combine both CG and traditional animation) and director Rob Minkoff’s Mr. Peabody & Sherman - which is based on Jay Ward’s classic cartoon and will feature the voice of Robert Downey Jr.! Here’s the release schedule:
- Kung Fu Panda 2 - May 26, 2011
- Puss In Boots - November 4, 2011
- Madagascar 3 - June 8, 2012
- Rise of the Guardians - November 21, 2012
- The Croods - March 1, 2013
- Turbo - June 7, 2013
- Me and My Shadow - November 8, 2013
- Mr. Peabody & Sherman - March 21, 2014
- How to Train Your Dragon 2 - June 20, 2014
Hit the jump for the synopses:
DreamWorks Animation plans to release its CG/hand-drawn hybrid Me and My Shadow in March 2013. According to Variety, the film is about “Shadow Stan, an incredibly frustrated shadow that yearns for a more dynamic life but happens to be stuck with Stanley Grubb, the world’s most boring human. Eventually pushed to the brink, Shadow Stan breaks the singular rule of the Shadow World — “they lead, we follow” — and takes control of Stanley.” Steve Bencich and Ron Friedman wrote the original screenplay, which is being revised by Tom Astle and Matt Ember (Get Smart). The film is being directed by Mark Dindal (The Emperor’s New Groove). Hit the jump for more details on this project.