Check out the latest update to the release date schedule:
- Legendary Pictures’ Untitled Michael Mann Project will be released by Universal Pictures on Friday, January 16, 2015.
- Universal Pictures will release The Boy Next Door on Friday, January 23, 2015.
- Legendary Pictures’ Seventh Son will be released in 3D by Universal Pictures on Friday, February 6, 2015.
- Legendary Pictures’ Warcraft, released in 3D by Universal Pictures, will move from December 18, 2015 (which is currently occupied by a little film called Star Wars: Episode VII), to March 11, 2016.
- Universal Pictures will release The Mummy on Friday, April 22, 2016.
- Also, Warner Bros.’ This Is Where I Leave You will now open September 12, 2014.
Hit the jump for more on each picture.
A surprising bit of custody business has been settled as a result of the divorce between Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures. The two studios will part ways at the end of this year when their current contract expires, and Legendary has already set up a distribution deal with Universal Pictures after opting not to renew its WB deal. Just the other day we learned that Legendary agreed to give up its stake in the Man of Steel sequel in exchange for a portion of Christopher Nolan’s Interstellar, which is a co-production between Warner Bros. and Paramount Pictures, and now it appears that Warner Bros. is dropping the upcoming fantasy-adventure film Seventh Son altogether. As a result, the film’s release date is now in flux.
Hit the jump for more, including a rundown of the Warner Bros./Legendary projects that are still in question.
While at Comic-Con for a presentation in Hall H, co-stars Jeff Bridges, Ben Barnes and Kit Harington talked to press about their fantasy action-adventure film Seventh Son. When an evil is unleashed that will reignite the war between the forces of the supernatural and humankind, Master Gregory (Bridges) must train his new apprentice (Barnes) to fight a dark magic unlike any other.
During the interview, the actors talked about what interested them in the project, what surprised them most during this shoot, how people react to the changes when a book is adapted to film, and a particularly wild day on set. Check out what they had to say after the jump.
The reaction to the Seventh Son trailer was lukewarm at best, but it’s a big fantasy movie we haven’t seen in a while, and I want to remain positive on it. I’m a huge fan of star Jeff Bridges and antagonist Julianne Moore. Still, it’s going to be a tough sell, and everyone’s itching for a big show when you’re the lead-off panel on the biggest day of Hall H. They didn’t have a lot of time in the crowded Warner Bros./Legendary presentation, but the crowd responded well, and they made a case not to simply write this off as another January write-off like this year’s Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters.
Hit the jump to for my recap of the panel. Seventh Son opens January 17, 2014.
Even more Comic-Con posters have been released. Briefly:
- Oldboy – Though director Spike Lee’s remake sadly doesn’t have a panel at Comic-Con this year, FilmDistrict has unveiled this great new poster design for SDCC fans. The film opens on October 25th.
- Seventh Son – The penultimate Comic-Con character poster for this fantasy/adventure film highlights the witch character played by Julianne Moore. The film opens on January 17, 2014.
- 300: Rise of an Empire – Yet another character poster for the action sequel features Eva Green’s principal character. The film opens on March 7, 2014.
Hit the jump to check out the posters.
- Insidious: Chapter 2 – Rose Byrne is hammer mom in the first poster for James Wan’s upcoming horror sequel. The film opens September 13th and also stars Patrick Wilson, Ty Simpkins, and Lin Shaye.
- You’re Next – Lionsgate has released an excellent new poster for Adam Wingard’s terrific home invasion thriller. The film opens August 23rd and stars Sharni Vinson, Joe Swanberg, AJ Bowen, Amy Seimetz, Barbara Crampton, Wendy Glenn, Margaret Laney, Rob Moran, Nicholas Tucci, and Ti West.
- Seventh Son – Ben Barnes features as the eponymous Seventh Son of a Seventh Son in the new Comic-Con character poster. The film opens January 17, 2014, and stars Jeff Bridges, Alicia Vikander, Kit Harington, Olivia Williams, Antje Traue, Djimon Hounsou, and Julianne Moore.
Hit the jump to check out the posters.
A new batch of Comic-Con posters have been unveiled for some upcoming films. Briefly:
- The LEGO Movie – A teaser character poster for directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller’s animated film, which opens on February 7, 2014.
- 300: Rise of an Empire – A new character poster for the stylish sequel highlights the character played by Jack O’Connell. The film opens on March 7, 2014.
- Carrie – A new banner for director Kimberly Peirce’s new adaptation teases Chloe Grace Moretz’s fiery rage. Click here if you missed our set visit coverage. The film opens on October 18th.
- Seventh Son – The latest character poster for the fantasy adventure pic teases Antje Traue’s (Man of Steel) character. The film opens on January 17, 2014.
Hit the jump to take a look at the posters.
San Diego Comic-Con week is upon us, folks, and that means there will be plenty of geek-friendly content breaking over the next six days or so. Ahead of SDCC panels for both films, new character posters for the graphic novel adaptation I, Frankenstein and the fantasy/adventure pic Seventh Son have landed online. I, Frankenstein stars Aaron Eckhart as a modern-day version of the creature who is being hunted by demons who want to learn the secret of his creation, while Seventh Son finds Jeff Bridges and Ben Barnes going after a witch played by Julianne Moore. The Frankenstein posters give us a look at Eckhart and couple of interesting-looking creatures, while we get Seventh Son character posters for Kit Harington, Djimon Hounsou, and Alicia Vikander.
Hit the jump to check out the posters, and check back here on Collider later this week for our recaps of both Comic-Con panels. I, Frankenstein opens on January 24, 2014 and Seventh Son opens on January 17, 2014.
Warner Bros. has released the first trailer for director Sergey Bodrov’s fantasy-adventure film Seventh Son. The plot follows mystical knight Father Gregory (Jeff Bridges) and his apprentice Tom Ward (Ben Barnes) and their fight to defeat the evil witch, Mother Malkin (Julianne Moore) and her followers. The VFX-heavy trailer promises a large-scale entry into the fantasy genre and a goofy Jeff Bridges performance, but despite the impressive cast (and Big Lebowski reunion), it’s tough to tell whether this one will be a winner. The genre is a tough one to crack, and it’s unclear if Warner Bros. has something more substantial than recent flops like Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters or The Brothers Grimm in store for audiences. The pic’s release date was recently moved (again) from this coming October to January due to delays in the visual effects process, but a push to January is rarely the best of signs. Here’s hoping Seventh Son proves to be a pleasant surprise.
Hit the jump to watch the trailer and to check out the poster. The film also stars Kit Harington, Alicia Vikander, Djimon Hounsou, Olivia Williams, and Antje Traue. Seventh Son opens on January 17, 2014.
Over the past several months, we’ve had new images from some of Warner Bros. 2013 films, but now the studio has released hi-res versions of these images. After the jump, you’ll find hi-res images from Pacific Rim, Beautiful Creatures, Seventh Son, and The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.
Hit the jump to check out the images. Pacific Rim opens July 12th, Beautiful Creatures opens February 13th, Seventh Son opens October 18th, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug opens December 13th.
Warner Bros. has released the first images from their upcoming fantasy-adventure film, Seventh Son. The plot follows mystical knight Father Gregory (Jeff Bridges) and his apprentice Tom Ward (Ben Barnes) and their fight to defeat the evil witch, Mother Malkin (Julianne Moore) and her followers. The title comes Ward’s character who is the “seventh son of a seventh son” and thus has special “chosen one” powers.
Hit the jump to check out the images. The film also stars Olivia Williams, Djimon Hounsou, Kit Harington, Antje Traue, and Alicia Vikander. Seventh Son opens October 18, 2013.
IMAX and Warner Bros. have signed a 20-picture deal. Over the next three years, Warner Bros. will release 20 movies in the IMAX format. This will obviously include the studios 2013 tentpole releases Jack the Giant Slayer, Man of Steel, Pacific Rim, 300: Rise of an Empire, Gravity, Seventh Son, and The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. It’s a big coup for both companies due to IMAX’s higher ticket prices, and I’m a little surprised to see Alfonso Cuaron‘s Gravity included in the mix, but glad to see it considered on the same level as Superman and The Hobbit.
Hit the jump to check out the press release. The next Warner Bros. film to hit IMAX will be The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.
We’ve got some shuffling of release dates for two Warner Bros. distributions and a new release date for one of our favorite films from this year’s Sundance. Here’s a glance:
- Warner Bros. pushes back The Seventh Son from February 15th, 2013 to October 18th, 2013.
- Another Warner Bros. film, Beautiful Creatures, has taken Seventh Son’s place by moving back two weeks to open on February 15th, 2013.
- Starring Frank Langella, James Marsden, Liv Tyler, Susan Sarandon and a robot (voiced by Peter Sarsgaard), Robot and Frank will open on August 24th of this year.
Hit the jump for more on each film.
Earlier this week, we brought you word that production had begun on Sergey Bodrov’s (Mongol: The Rise of Genghis Khan) fantasy adventure, Seventh Son. Now we can bring you the first concept art released for the film, something not seen outside of last year’s Comic-Con. While it doesn’t show off an awful lot, you can get a definite sense of setting and scope from the image.
Based on the The Spook’s Apprentice, the first novel in Joseph Delaney‘s young adult book series, The Wardstone Chronicles, Seventh Son follows a knight training a new apprentice to combat an old evil (how’s that for vague? More plot details after the jump.) The film stars Jeff Bridges, Julianne Moore, Kit Harington, Ben Barnes and Olivia Williams. Hit the jump for the official synopsis and a look at the image.
Production has begun on the fantasy action adventure flick Seventh Son, and with that announcement comes an official synopsis. Briefly: Jeff Bridges plays a knight who had imprisoned an evil witch (Julianne Moore), but then she escapes and plans to do evil witchy things. The knight is forced to take on an apprentice (Ben Barnes)—the seventh son of a seventh son—and only has until the next full moon to get the kid up to snuff. The movie is based on The Spook’s Apprentice, the first novel in Joseph Delaney‘s young adult book series, The Wardstone Chronicles, which has franchise potential because of course it does. Thankfully, it’s got a good cast on board, which also includes Olivia Williams and Kit Harington.
Hit the jump for the press release, which includes the synopsis. Legendary Pictures made a brief presentation for the film at last year’s Comic-Con so it’s possible we might see another appearance at this year’s Con. The press release doesn’t include a release date, but Box Office Mojo is listing the film for February 15, 2013.