The past two days have been a couple of the busiest in release date news history, and Sony has a pair of shifts to add to the fold. With Fifty Shades of Grey now vacating the August 1, 2014 release date, Sony has decided to push director Jake Kasdan’s (Walk Hard) comedy Sex Tape to that date from its previous July slot. The film stars Jason Segel and Cameron Diaz as a married couple who set out to retrieve their missing sex tape, and it will now act as a bit of counter-programming to Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy on its new release date.
Additionally, Sony has decided to give Sinister director Scott Derrickson’s upcoming horror film Beware the Night a prime summer release date of July 2, 2014, bumped all the way up from January 2015; Sony is no doubt hoping to mimic the success of this summer’s The Conjuring. The film stars Eric Bana, Olivia Munn, and Edgar Ramirez and involves police investigating a demonic possession. As a big fan of Sinister, I’m quite looking forward to this one. [ERC]
Here’s a bit more casting news for you today:
- Ellie Kemper (The Office) has joined Jake Kasdan’s Sex Tape, starring Cameron Diaz and Jason Segel. Sex Tape opens July 18, 2014.
- Thomas Sadoski (The Newsroom) is in talks to star opposite Reese Witherspoon in Jean-Marc Vallee’s Wild.
Hit the jump for more on each film.
After Disney shuffled up their release date slate earlier today, we have a few more opening-day changes to report:
- Sex Tape – Sony/Columbia has bumped the Jake Kasdan comedy from July 2, 2014 back to July 18, 2014 in order to avoid box office conflicts with Melissa McCarthy’s road-trip laugher, Tammy.
- Addicted – Lionsgate has set a March 14, 2014 release date for this Bille Woodruff (Honey) drama.
- Jessabelle – Lionsgate has pushed the release date of Kevin Greutert’s horror-thriller back to August 29, 2014.
Hit the jump for more on each film.
Here’s the latest casting news:
Hit the jump for more on each story.
Jack(son) attack in tonight’s casting report:
- Samuel L. Jackson is set to play the villain in The Secret Service. Matthew Vaughn (X-Men: First Class) will direct the Mark Millar comic adaptation. Colin Firth and Taron Egerton also star.
- After casting his Bad Teacher stars Cameron Diaz and Jason Segel as the leads in Sex Tape, director Jake Kasdan went back to his Orange County rolodex to sign Jack Black for a key cameo.
Hit the jump for more on both projects.
Baldwin! Harris! Corddry! Tonight on Casting Report:
- Alec Baldwin is in negotiations with director Cameron Crowe to join Bradley Cooper, Emma Stone, Rachel McAdams, and Danny McBride in Crowe’s next project, rumored to be a rework of Deep Tiki.
- Ed Harris is in talks to join Liam Neeson and Joel Kinnaman in Run All Night, a crime thriller directed by Jaume Collet-Serra (Unknown).
- Rob Corddry is up to play the best friend in Sex Tape, a comedy that reunites Jason Segel and Cameron Diaz with Bad Teacher director Jake Kasdan.
Hit the jump for more on each project.
Sony has set release dates for a few of its big comedy titles hitting theaters next year:
- 21 Jump Street 2 – The highly-anticipated comedy sequel will hit theaters on June 6, 2014, where it will open opposite Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller and stars Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum return for a story that sees the characters infiltrating a college campus. For much more info on the sequel, click here.
- Think Like a Man Too – The sequel to the relationship comedy based on the book by Steve Harvey will open in theaters on June 20, 2014 opposite How to Train Your Dragon 2.
- Sex Tape – Director Jake Kasdan’s (Walk Hard) comedy will open on July 2, 2014 opposite Disney’s Maleficent. The film stars Jason Segel and possibly Cameron Diaz as a couple who set out to find their sex tape that has mysteriously disappeared.
To those of you who’ve always wanted Cameron Diaz to make a sex tape, you’re in luck (sorta)! Diaz is reported to be in early talks for a reunion with Bad Teacher director Jake Kasdan and star Jason Segel for Sex Tape. According to the write-up, Diaz was in the mix for female leads about a year go but now negotiations are taking place with a deal in the near future. The Kate Angelo (The Back-up Plan) script centers on “a married couple who take a night off from their kids and decide to spice up their love life by making a sex tape. When they wake up the next morning, the tape is missing, prompting them to figure out who took it and how to get it back.” Hit the jump for more on Sex Tape, plus the latest casting addition to Brad Bird’s Tomorrowland.
Bad Teacher director Jake Kasdan is in talks to re-team with Jason Segel for the high-concept comedy Sex Tape. Per Variety, Segel will star “as half of a happily married couple who use a night off from their parental duties to spice up their love life by making a sex tape. When they awake the following morning, they discover the tape has gone missing, prompting them to figure out who took it and how to get it back.” Nicholas Stoller (Forgetting Sarah Marshall) was previously attached to direct, but dropped out due to scheduling issues. Last October, Reese Witherspoon, Amy Adams, Emily Blunt, Rose Byrne, and Jennifer Garner were in the mix to play the female lead, but there’s currently no word on which actresses (if any) are still circling the role.
Sony Pictures paid in the low seven figures for Kate Angelo‘s script, but the success of Bad Teacher likely helped Kasdan into the director’s seat for such a high-priority project. I’ve enjoyed all of Kasdan’s films (Walk Hard is downright brilliant), and his participation along with Segel definitely makes Sex Tape a flick to keep on my radar, although I’m curious to see who will be cast as the female lead.
Escape Artists’s first-look deal with Sony Pictures has been reupped, extending the relationship between the two companies through 2015. Escape Artists has been with Sony since 1998, and produced its first film independently in 2001: A Knight’s Tale. The relationship between Sony and Escape Artists has birthed The Pursuit of Happyness, Seven Pounds, and the remake of The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3. Included in the release is news of Escape Artists’s upcoming slate.
An interesting tidbit included mentions that Denzel Washington is now attached to the feature film adaptation of the 1980s CBS crime series The Equalizer. The project was initially developed for Russell Crowe and director Paul Haggis, but this new report only makes mention of Washington and producer Alex Siskind. Hit the jump to find out what else the upcoming Escape Artist slate includes.
Each year, Hollywood releases “The Black List.” The list is a compilation of the “best” unproduced scripts making the rounds of Hollywood, as voted on by hundreds of film executives. Past scripts that have made their way to the list include Diablo Cody’s Juno and Aaron Sorkin‘s The Social Network. This year, topping the list is Graham Moore’s script for the Alan Turing biopic The Imitation Game. Turning was a mathematician and codebreaker during World War II who was criminally prosecuted for his homosexuality, after which he elected chemical castration over prison, and eventually ended his own life.
The Imitation Game has been in the works for a while, and last we heard Warner Bros. was keen on getting Harry Potter director David Yates to take the helm. Leonardo DiCaprio is also said to have taken a liking to the role of Turing. Also appearing on the list is Matt Damon’s planned directorial debut Father Daughter Time and Chewie, which tells the behind-the-scenes story of Star Wars from the perspective of Peter Mayhew. Hit the jump to peruse the entire list, which includes two Pinocchio projects, a movie about catching a screening of Jurassic Park, and zombies!
Sony is moving forward with the comedy Sex Tape, as they’ve got their eye on a couple of actors to take the leads. Deadline reports that the studio is keen on Jason Segel and Reese Witherspoon to star in the Kate Angelo-scripted pic. The film centers on a married couple who, on a night off from their kids, decide to make a sex tape. When they wake up in the morning to find the tape missing, they head out on an adventure to find it. Nicholas Stoller, who helmed Forgetting Sarah Marshall and co-scripted The Muppets alongside Segel, is in talks to direct. The concept sounds fun, if a little similar to the Steve Carell/Tina Fey comedy Date Night. Hopefully Sex Tape is a good deal less PG than the Shawn Levy pic. Judging by the title, I’d say it’s a safe bet that this won’t be one for the whole family.
Segel has more than proven himself a comedic talent, and Witherspoon can actually be quite good in the genre given the right material, so I actually quite like this pairing. Segel recently wrapped The Five-Year Engagement, and Witherspoon is currently filming the Jeff Nichols drama Mud. [Update: Variety reports that Amy Adams, Emily Blunt, Rose Byrne, and Jennifer Garner are also in the mix with Witherspoon as possible female leads.]