This week’s new Blu-ray releases are light on quantity, but include three different cuts of a long-awaited comedy sequel on one home video release, a big-budget 2013 film that went largely unseen, and Tom Hiddleston as Captain Hook. Briefly:
Finishing up our recaps from today’s D23 presentation, including a look at Disney/Pixar’s upcoming slate and new projects from Walt Disney Animation Studios, we have the direct-to-video production wing of Disney, DisneyToon Studios. Their contributions to D23 include two new Tinkerbell pictures titled Legend of the NeverBeast and The Pirate Fairy, plus a new Planes sequel, Planes: Fire & Rescue. While these DVD/Blu-ray films might not appeal to the broadest base, the D23 presentation did feature some fun guest surprises, including Christina Hendricks (Mad Men), Tom Hiddleston (The Avengers) and Dane Cook (Dan in Real Life). Hit the jump for my recap.
One of the many people who took the stage at D23 today was Christina Hendricks (Mad Men). She was there to talk about her work in DisneyToon Studios The Pirate Fairy, in which she’ll play a new fairy named Zarina. Shortly after getting announced as a voice in the Spring 2014 release, I was able to talk with Hendricks on the red carpet backstage. She talked about her work on the animated film, the process of watching the animators work, changing during production, the experience of shooting Ryan Gosling’s directorial debut How to Catch a Monster in Detroit and more. In addition, as you watch the interview, you’ll see a great photobomb from Bill Hader. Hit the jump to watch.
Earlier today at D23 in Anaheim, Disney revealed a number of details about their upcoming animated slate from both Pixar and DisneyToon Studios. Included in the announcements was an animated film called The Pirate Fairy that will feature the voices of Christina Hendricks as a fairy and Tom Hiddleston as a young Captain Hook. As you can imagine, when they announced the two of them providing voices and then walking out on stage, the crowd went nuts.
Shortly after the presentation I got to speak to Hiddleston backstage. He talked about what the film’s story, getting to voice Captain Hook, what he collects, whether he has seen Thor: The Dark World and his thoughts on the footage, what it was like filming the sequel compared to the first one, and the experience of appearing in character as Loki at Comic-Con. He also revealed that he wrote the Comic-Con dialogue himself and he didn’t want to introduce the trailer because “Loki doesn’t know what a trailer is.” Hit the jump to watch.
We’ve seen quite a bit of news out of Disney’s D23 panel today, having already shared the voice casts and first images from Pixar’s The Good Dinosaur and Inside Out, new voice casting for Finding Dory, and the announcement of Disney’s new animated film Zootopia, and now new images for a few other upcoming films have been released. Briefly:
- Big Hero 6 – A new image from Disney Animation’s adaptation of the Marvel comic. The film opens on November 7, 2014.
- Frozen – A new image from Disney’s animated musical, featuring the voices of Kristen Bell and Idina Menzel. The film opens this coming November 27th.
- Planes: Fire & Rescue – The first concept art image from DisneyToon Studios’ next film in the Planes universe. The film opens on July 18, 2014.
- The Pirate Fairy – The first image from the direct-to-video DisneyToon animated film, featuring the voices of Tom Hiddleston and Christina Hendricks. The film will be released in spring 2014.
- Toy Story of TERROR! – A new image from Pixar’s upcoming half-hour Halloween TV special, premiering on ABC on October 16th.
- Get a Horse! – A new image from the new Disney Animation short, playing in front of Frozen this November.
Hit the jump to check out the images, and check back here on Collider later for our full D23 coverage.