It’s always great when you meet someone for the first time and they’re extremely nice, grounded, and willing to literally talk about anything. Trust me, this is not the norm in Hollywood. But when I walked in to speak with Taylor Kitsch for his great work in Andrew Stanton‘s John Carter, not only was Kitsch kind enough to let me use my flip camera for the interview, he was very willing to play along with my questions.
While I of course asked him about making John Carter and the challenges of working with the green screen, we also talked about his favorite movie, actors and director, how 2012 is a big year for him (he’s also in Battleship), how he based Tim Riggins on a Gary Oldman performance, his feelings on the way Friday Night Lights ended and whether or not he would come back for a movie. In addition, he told me a great story about playing the “Male Camper” on Kyle XY and the audition that went with it, and a lot more. Hit the jump to watch.
As usual, I’ve time indexed the interview so you can watch the parts that interest you. For more on John Carter, here’s my video interview with Dominic West, Andrew Stanton, producer Jim Morris, a ten minute clip, the latest trailer, clips, featurettes, 13 minutes of behind-the-scenes footage from the making of the film, and 95 images. Or you can click here for all of our coverage.
Taylor Kitsch Time Index
- 1:10 – Kitsch reveals his go-to karaoke song and whether there’s any candid footage of him singing on YouTube.
- 1:40 – Kitsch talks about his favorite movie, actors and director.
- 2:00 – Kitsch shares a story about meeting Gary Oldman and how he based his Friday Night Lights character off of one of the veteran actor’s performances.
- 3:35 – Kitsch answers whether fans want to talk to him more about Snakes on a Plane, X-Men Origins: Wolverine or playing the “Male Camper” on Kyle XY.
- 3:50 – Kitsch talks about his audition for the pilot of Kyle XY.
- 4:50 – Reflecting on his work on John Carter, Kitsch reveals some of the more bizarre aspects of filming the movie due to acting against a lot of green screen.
- 5:50 – Kitsch remarks on his reaction to seeing the finished film for the first time and mentions why he looks forward to seeing it a second time.
- 6:50 – Kitsch talks about his work in the drama The Bang Bang Club in which he portrays real-life photojournalist Kevin Carter and how it helped his performance in John Carter.
- 7:40 – Kitsch reveals whether he’s a fan of minimal takes or numerous takes, depending on how much trust he has in the director.
- 8:45 – Regarding his big year in movies (John Carter, Battleship, Savages), Kitsch reveals how he tries to stay grounded. He also comments on how much he loves the difference among the characters he’ll play this year.
- 10:35 – Kitsch talks about the finale of Friday Night Lights and how he feels about a possible cameo in the feature film.