Opening this Friday is director Dito Montiel’s (“A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints”) new movie “Fighting”. The film stars Channing Tatum, Terrence Howard, Brian White,Luis Guzmán and Zulay Henao.
As you’ve probably seen in the commercials or in these movie clips, the film tells the all too familiar story of someone getting pulled into the dark underbelly of New York City. Here’s the synopsis:
Shawn MacArthur (Channing Tatum) has come to New York City with nothing. Barely earning a living selling counterfeit goods on the streets, his luck changes when scam artist Harvey Boarden (Terrence Howard) sees that he has a natural talent for streetfighting. When Harvey offers Shawn help at making the real cash, the two form an uneasy partnership.
As Shawn’s manager, Harvey introduces him to the corrupt bare-knuckle circuit, where rich men bet on disposable pawns. Almost overnight, he becomes a star brawler, taking down professional boxers, mixed martial arts champs and ultimate fighters in a series of staggeringly intense bouts. But if Shawn ever hopes to escape the dark world in which he’s found himself, he must now face the toughest fight of his life.
While this film isn’t going to offer the genre anything new, it does have a few solid fight scenes and when I saw it with a big crowd a few weeks back, the audience was very vocal while watching and they seemed to really enjoy it.
So to help promote the film, I recently got to speak with Terrance Howard and Zulay Henao. Terrance plays Channing’s manager, and Zulay plays his love interest. Both talked about filming in New York, making the movie, and what they have coming up.
· He talks about wanting to work with Dito Montiel since Sundance a number of years ago
· What was his experience working on set
· What was it like filming on the streets of New York City
· Since he is from NYC, did he have people stopped by the set all the time
· What else is going on his life besides this film
· I ask her about being in the Army before becoming an actor
· What is 2009 going to be like for her with 2 movies coming out
· What is it like when she found out she got cast
· Did she know the scenes with her mom were going to be so funny
· What was it like filming in New York City
· She talks about S. Darko