I’ve been a fan of Terry Crews for a long time, so it’s been great watching his career explode over the past few years with excellent work on TV (Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Arrested Development) and in the movies (Expendables) . With Crews playing a supporting role in Tyler Perry’s latest, The Single Mom’s Club, the other day I landed an exclusive video interview with the actor at the film’s Los Angeles press day. During the interview, Crews talked about whether he really uses Old Spice, how he’s wanted to be in a Tyler Perry movie for a long time, the way Perry likes to work and how Crews always starts big and lets the director tell him to scale it down if needed, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, The Expendables 3, his thoughts on playing Luke Cage in Marvel’s upcoming Netflix series, and more. Hit the jump to watch.
Terry Crews Time Index:
- Claims to always use Old Spice.
- 0:30 – Says “anything can happen” when it comes playing Luke Cage in Marvel’s Netflix series.
- 2:00 – Crews has wanted to be in a Tyler Perry movie for a long time, so he was excited when Perry finally arrived at a role suited for Crews.
- 3:10 – Compares Perry’s one-take style to his experience playing in the NFL. He always starts big and lets the director tell him to scale it down if needed.
- 4:50 – Making Perry laugh on set while the camera was rolling was an achievement.
- 6:10 – Crews was flattered that Brooklyn Nine-Nine creators Dan Goor and Michael Schur created the role especially for him. It’s also a great working environment.
- 8:30 – Teases The Expendables 3: “You thought it couldn’t get bigger, and this sucker got bigger!”