The folks at IMAX have recently started a new tradition of giving away limited, specially made posters at midnight screenings of some of the year’s major films. They did one for Prometheus, they did one for The Amazing Spider-Man, and you bet your ass they’re doing one for The Dark Knight Rises. The IMAX poster for director Christopher Nolan’s third and final Batman film features Bats confidently floating over the burning city of Gotham with the help of his newfound levitation abilities. By now you’re probably aware that Nolan shot nearly an hour of footage with IMAX cameras, and the gold standard viewing experience for The Dark Knight Rises is apparently 70mm IMAX. If you’re attending a midnight screening of the film in the large format, you’ve got a good shot at nabbing one of these posters for yourself.
Hit the jump to check out the poster. The film stars Christian Bale, Tom Hardy, Anne Hathaway,Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, Marion Cotillard and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. The Dark Knight Rises opens on July 20th.
And if you missed the Bane viral poster and a new TV spot, click here.
Click to embiggen
Here’s the official synopsis for The Dark Knight Rises:
It has been eight years since Batman vanished into the night, turning, in that instant, from hero to fugitive. Assuming the blame for the death of D.A. Harvey Dent, the Dark Knight sacrificed everything for what he and Commissioner Gordon both hoped was the greater good. For a time the lie worked, as criminal activity in Gotham City was crushed under the weight of the anti-crime Dent Act.
But everything will change with the arrival of a cunning cat burglar with a mysterious agenda. Far more dangerous, however, is the emergence of Bane, a masked terrorist whose ruthless plans for Gotham drive Bruce out of his self-imposed exile. But even if he dons the cape and cowl again, Batman may be no match for Bane.
Leading an all-star international cast, Oscar(R) winner Christian Bale (“The Fighter”) again plays the dual role of Bruce Wayne/Batman. The film also stars Anne Hathaway, as Selina Kyle; Tom Hardy, as Bane; Oscar(R) winner Marion Cotillard (“La Vie en Rose”), as Miranda Tate; and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, as John Blake. Returning to the main cast, Oscar(R) winner Michael Caine (“The Cider House Rules”) plays Alfred; Gary Oldman is Commissioner Gordon; and Oscar(R) winner Morgan Freeman (“Million Dollar Baby”) reprises the role of Lucius Fox. The screenplay is written by Christopher Nolan and Jonathan Nolan, story by Christopher Nolan & David S. Goyer. The film is produced by Emma Thomas, Christopher Nolan and Charles Roven, who previously teamed on “Batman Begins” and the record-breaking blockbuster “The Dark Knight.” The executive producers are Benjamin Melniker, Michael E. Uslan, Kevin De La Noy and Thomas Tull, with Jordan Goldberg serving as co-producer. The film is based upon characters appearing in comic books published by DC Comics. Batman was created by Bob Kane.
Click here for all of our previous coverage or browse the links below:
- New TV Spot Plus Bane Viral Poster
- Listen to 14 Minutes of Hans Zimmer’s Score
- The Full Runtime Revealed
- A New Synopsis
- The Dark Knight Rises Trailer from the MTV Movie Awards Officially Goes Online
- The Dark Knight Rises Figures and Toys Reveal New Vehicles and a Mystery Character
- A New TV Spot for The Dark Knight Rises Features Banter between Batman and Catwoman
- Bane’s Weapon is Revealed!
- Viral Campaign for The Dark Knight Rises Reveals a New Character and Plot Points
- Fan-Made The Dark Knight Rises Banner
- Viral Campaign’s Gotham Observer
- New Promo Posters
- Newest TV Spot for The Dark Knight Rises
- Create Your Own Dark Knight Rises TV Spot for Christopher Nolan to Judge
- New Footage Galore in Latest TV Spot
- New Images of The Bat
- Listen to Samples of Hans Zimmer’s Score from The Dark Knight Rises
- First Teaser Trailer for The Dark Knight RisesMobile Game
- Batman Begins to Be Converted to Digital IMAX for Trilogy Marathon
- Soundtrack Listing and New TV Spot
- Advance Tickets Now On Sale
- New footage from the MTV Movie Awards
- Trailer 1, Trailer 2, Trailer 3, Trailer 4
- Warner Bros. Initially Wanted Leonardo DiCaprio as The Riddler for The Dark Knight Rises
- Gotham Rogues Wide Receiver Hines Ward Action Figure
- Christopher Nolan Says He Was “Nervous” to Include Catwoman in The Dark Knight Rises; Christian Bale Talks the Future of the Franchise
- TV Spot “Retired”
- 20 Things to Know from our The Dark Knight RisesSet Visit
- Limited Edition The Dark Knight Rises-Themed Nokia Phone
- TV Spot, Banners, Images, SDCC Action Figure, and Promo Posters
- Mega Gallery featuring 50 Images and 15 Posters
- Catwoman Poster
- New Footage to Premiere During the MTV Movie Awards
- Set Visit Preview and Four New Banners