Currently playing in limited release is Cyrus. Written and directed by Jay Duplass & Mark Duplass (The Puffy Chair, Baghead), the movie centers on John (John C. Reilly), a film editor who’s down on his luck and still emotionally attached to his soon-to-be remarried ex-wife, Jamie (Catherine Keener). John’s prospects take a turn when he meets Molly (Marisa Tomei) at a party. However, when her 21 year-old son/housemate Cyrus (Jonah Hill) enters the picture, he becomes an unexpected saboteur of John’s attempts at Molly’s heart.
While you might think making a studio movie with Fox Searchlight might change who The Duplass Brothers are, they stayed indie by filming the movie in order and using a ton of improv. What they ended up with was a touching, original story that blends humor & heartbreak. Definitely recommended.
Anyway, I recently got to speak with the brothers and we talked about filming in order, the improv, using the RED camera, what might be on the DVD/Blu-ray, their next film Jeff Who Lives At Home, and a lot more. Hit the jump to check it out:
The Duplass Brothers
- I ask about all the projects listed on their IMDb page as it seemed like they’d made a few more movies since Cyrus
- Filming the movie in order
- Did anything change so they could shoot the movie in order
- What can fans look forward to on the DVD/Blu-ray
- How are they with directing improv. Do they ever gives lines
- Why did they choose the RED camera
- Jeff Who Lives At Home talk