This week, Warner Bros. sent a gaggle of journalists to Vancouver to visit the sets of some of their CW shows like (my personal favorite) The Flash. Sitting in front of the Central City Police Department mural, we were able to interview Grant Gustin (Barry Allen), Tom Cavanagh (Harrison Wells), Danielle Panabaker (Caitlin Snow), Candice Patton (Iris West), Jesse L. Martin (Joe West), Carlos Valdes (Cisco Ramon), and Teddy Sears (Jay Garrick) about Season 2 so far, what to expect coming up, as well as a few teasers from the upcoming crossover episodes, the midseason finale, and much more:
- All of us wanted to know why Henry Allen (John Wesley Shipp) took off so quickly after he got out of prison. Jesse and Grant admitted they were really confused by that, too. Moving forward, Grant said Barry is unsure whether or not he should reach out given how that all happened. So, while Henry will probably be back when Barry needs him, for now, he’s not in the father figure rotation.
Speaking of Barry and family, Teddy described Jay’s relationship with Barry as an older brother rather than a father/mentor.
- In other mentor updates, Cisco and Stein’s (Victor Garber) relationship will continue to develop, as Stein steps into the role of his mentor. Cisco was also teased as being one of the first characters from The Flash to enter the world of Legends of Tomorrow once it officially launches as its own show.
- As for the other half of Firestorm, when asked about Caitlin seeming to move on from quickly from Ronnie’s (Robbie Amell) death, Danielle said that Caitlin already mourned him throughout most of Season 1, so this season she’s going to get to explore some new facets of her character (and new romance …?). No word yet though on any more karaoke.
- As for Iris and the loss of Eddie (Rick Cosnett), Candice said that Iris’ deep mourning is mostly over, but that doesn’t mean she’s turning her attentions to Barry romantically. She’s very supportive of Patty and that budding relationship.
- Candice also said that she also isn’t sure what happened to her dissertation plot line … (in the pilot it’s her main focus).
Danielle commented that while Reverse Flash was very scary for Barry to face, Zoom is truly a villain that terrifies everyone.
- Speaking of Reverse Flash … Harrison Wells is back! And we will see more about the fact that Jay and Harrison knew each other on Earth 2 (and apparently, this version of Harrison Wells is a bit of an asshole).
- On a much lighter note, Teddy addressed the fact that it is difficult to keep his Jay Garrick helmet on during action scenes, and the choreography reflects that.
- Regarding Cisco’s powers, he will start getting more visions more often, as he grapples with his new powers.
- Also, there will be more Grodd this year!
- As for the crossover with Arrow (which will also introduce Legends of Tomorrow), it’s going to be completely massive in terms of scale, characters involved, action, etc.
Speaking of crossovers, everyone from The Flash loves Diggle — Candice said she’d love to share scenes with David Ramsey, and Jesse said he’d like to see Joe and Diggle at a bar just talking about all of the crazy stuff happening around them (I would love that as a full webisode).
- As for villains, Carter Hall, Vandal Savage, and more will be in the crossover episode. Grant Gustin also confirmed that Barry will say the name “Damien Darhk” this season, but we don’t know if there will be a specific interaction between them yet.
- The midseason finale will be air on December 8th and be a Christmas-themed episode.
- According to Danielle, there may be some mistletoe in Caitlin’s future with Jay (Is there a name for this pairing yet? SnowJay?)
- Some of the rogues will be back in the midseason finale, including Trickster (and yes, the cast geeked out over how they get to hang out with Mark Hamill after growing up with Star Wars).