The CW’s The Flash was a breakout hit in its first season, so the anticipation is very high for its return this fall. In season two, you can expect to see a lot of emotional and physical fallout from the events that concluded season one, in addition to more romantic entanglements and a lot more speed. Executive Producers Andrew Kreisberg, Geoff Johns and Greg Berlanti joined show stars John Wesley Shipp, Candice Patton, Grant Gustin, Tom Cavanagh, Danielle Panabaker, and Carlos Valdes on stage, where some new casting info was quickly revealed.
Teddy Sears (Masters of Sex) has been cast as Jay Garrick, who is well known to comic book fans as the first DC Comics character to take on the mantle of The Flash. In the TV show, Jay is a mysterious figure who arrives in Central City to warn Barry Allen and his team at S.T.A.R. Labs of an impending danger that he alone cannot hope to stop.
- The Flash executive producer Kreisberg said, “Having Jay Garrick come onto the show was one of our earliest ideas. It is so exciting, as we rush into season two, that we finally get to bring the Crimson Comet to life. We couldn’t imagine anyone more suited to play the original Flash than Teddy.”
Shantel VanSanten (The Messengers) has been set for the role of Patty Spivot. A more recent addition to The Flash’s comic book history, Patty Spivot is a police officer and science enthusiast who catches the eye of Barry Allen. Patty is obsessed with metahumans and partners with Det. Joe West this season but has no idea that her new crush is The Flash.
- “We were huge fans of The Messengers and are excited to have Shantel join us to help complicate Barry Allen’s love life in season two,” said Kreisberg.
- Zoom, who is faster than both The Flash and Reverse Flash, was also confirmed as the big bad for season two, and it was announced that the third Flash (and first Kid Flash) Wally West will also make an appearance..
- Season two will pick up a few months after the end of season one and deals with the fallout from the finale’s events. This season will introduce Earth-Two characters (news which wins a roar of approval from the fans).
- Gustin said that Barry finds himself at the center of a lot more attention in season two, something he has difficulty dealing with because he knows that Eddie Thawne was the real hero.
- As for Cisco, his physical changes in the second half of season one start to affect him at the outset of season two. Valdes: “Changes in his body for sure … not puberty.”
Jay Garrick hasn’t been portrayed in live action before, but the original Flash will make an appearance this year in order to meet up with Barry.
- Now that Iris knows Barry’s secret, she plays a bigger part of the team and often finds herself at S.T.A.R. Labs. She acts as a team member who handles things outside of the lab thanks to her street smarts and people skills.
- Henry Allen’s incarceration will continue to be addressed in season two, and though he’ll eventually get out of prison, we’re not quite sure how.
- Harrison Wells may have been a disguise for Eobard Thawne in the first season, but season two will see a bit more of Cavanagh’s dual performances (though they didn’t exactly explain how).
- On her season two predictions, Panabaker said, “It’s a little frosty.” She admits that she’s excited for season two and hopes to get into costume as Killer Frost one day, so hopefully we’ll see her more often.
- Grodd, Captain Cold and Golden Glider, and more mysterious villains will apear this season.
- Check out Johns’ ‘Vibe’ comics to find out more about the character, and get acquainted with new interest Patty Spivot below: