With The Following showrunner Kevin Williamson leaving after last season to head up his new CBS series, Stalker, the show upped writers Brett Mahoney and Alexi Hawley to executive producers alongside director Marcos Siega, the series’ long-time on-set executive producer. While some shows suffer when a new leader takes control, The Following wrapped up the long running storyline of the first two seasons in the recent finale, which makes season three able to start anew. Of course the show will still be dealing with the ramifications of Joe Carroll (James Purefoy), but the new showrunners can take the keys knowing they can plot their own course. Which is exactly what they’re doing according to series star Kevin Bacon.
Earlier today at New York Comic-Con, I was able to participate in a roundtable interview with him where he talked about The Following season 3. While he said the upcoming season would start with the characters in a happier place and feature new love interests, he revealed “there is evil bigger than Joe.” In addition to talking about how the season starts, he said they’re about to film episode three, discussed what about his character thematically is he interested in exploring this season, how much he knows about the season arc, adjusting to a TV schedule, and a lot more. Hit the jump for what he said.
- Teases what is to come in season 3. Says the season starts with the characters in a happier place and new love interests.
- :55 – They’re about to start shooting episode 3.
- 1:30 – How much does he know about the arc of the season in advance of filming?
- 2:30 – What will be the relationship with Joe Carroll in the coming season? We won’t see him right away. Will take a few episodes for him to show up.
- 3:30 – What about his character thematically is he interested in exploring this season?
- 4:30 – Talks about adjusting to a TV schedule and how he had left over snobbery about doing TV if you’re a movie actor.
- 6:00 – How we’re in a Golden age of television.