With The in Man in the High Castle season 2 now available on Amazon Prime, I recently sat down with Luke Kleintank and Bella Heathcote to talk about the new season. During our wide-ranging interview they talked about how the new season compares to the first, how Season 2 pushes the envelope by exploring and expanding the world of the series, the way they like to work on set, how much they knew about the arc of Season 2, a key deleted scene from the first season, what it’s like working for Amazon, and so much more.
For those not familiar with The Man in the High Castle, the show is adapted from the novel of the same name by the late Philip K. Dick. It depicts a world in which Imperial Japan and Nazi Germany triumphed over the Allies in the Second World War. Some 20 years later, the United States and much of the world has now been split between Japan and Germany, the major hegemonic nations. But the tension between these two powers is mounting, and much of the resistance and collateral damage of the struggle can be seen in the western U.S.
Fans of Season 1 will likely be all the more wrapped up in what goes down in the second season. While I’ve only seen the first five episodes, what’s great about Season 2 is its embrace of an expanding scope, both in the living world of the series and in characters that appear in the wake of the escalating conflict. And the characters that survived Season 1 continue the good fight, though in refreshingly daring and nimble ways that divert from last season. If Season 1 efficiently set up the world of The Man in the High Castle, Season 2 burrows into the interweaving paths that looks to subvert the new world order. For more on season 2, read Dave’s review.
Below you’ll find a listing of everything DJ Qualls, Joel De La Fuente, and Brennan Brown talked about followed by the official synopsis for season 2. Check out the interview above. If you missed my interview with Alexa Davalos, Rupert Evans and Stephen Root click the link.
Luke Kleintank and Bella Heathcote:
- How did Luke lose his phone?
How does season 2 compare to season 1?
- How characters have gone to new places in season 2.
- How do they each like to work on set?
- How much did they tell them about their characters when they got cast?
- Did the scripts change during filming?
- What is it like preparing when the scripts are constantly being adjusted?
- What is it like always working with a new director?
- Do they have a lot of deleted scenes?
- Luke talks about a key deleted scene from season 1.
- What have they told them about the ratings of the show?
- How far could the show go for?
- What was the shooting schedule like for season 2?
- What is it like working for Amazon?
The great VFX on the show.
- How many takes do they like to do when filming?
- How many pages do they shoot a day on the show?
- The great production design on the show.
- The party outside….
- Luke talks about how he had quit smoking before the show started filming and then his character was written as a smoker.
- How much does the dialogue change during the table read and on set?
- What would surprise people to learn about the making of the show?
- Luke talks about his time on The Young and the Restless.
- When did they wrap on filming?
- What do they do on their hiatus?