At WonderCon today, Sony Pictures’ panel presentation featured director Harald Zwart’s The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones. In addition to principal members of the cast, author Cassandra Clare joined the panel for the presentation. After a Q&A, they presented a brand new cut of the trailer exclusively for the enthusiastic audience.
The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones, opening August 23rd, stars Lily Collins, Jamie Campbell Bower, Robert Sheehan, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Aidan Turner, Jared Harris, Kevin Zegers, Kevin Durand and Lena Headey. Hit the jump for our recap.
The new trailer for The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones was an action-packed visual feast that got the general idea of the story across to newcomers like myself without the need to delve into too many details. Collins as the lead character Clary Fray makes an outright transformation on screen (which is even remarked upon by one of the supporting actors) from innocent schoolgirl to badass Shadowhunter. I’m sure fans of the book series would have caught many more details of the trailer so hopefully it will soon be up for all to enjoy.
Collins, Campbell Bower, Zegers and Clare fielded a variety of questions about The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones from both the moderator and fans during the presentation. Here’s a recap of the highlights:
- Clare said that it was “extremely surreal” to be sitting next to her characters in the flesh. She was “freaking out” over the realistic set designs but hasn’t seen what the finished demons look like just yet.
- Clare has a cameo in the film during Magnus’ party; she’ll be the one wearing cat ears.
- Collins, who was a fan of the books before the film, sees her character Clary as a “feisty go-getter.” She loved being a red-head and will happily dye her hair again should the film be successful enough to warrant sequels.
- Clare was more involved with the production than she expected to be, spending lots of time with the casting director, director Harald Zwart and some facets of the set design.
- Clare revealed that the Silent Brothers will also be introduced in this movie.