Fans came out in droves to see Warner Bros.’ DC Entertainment flick Shazam! this weekend, but as comics fans around the world know, Billy Batson’s superhero story is only part of the legend. Zachary Levi/Asher Angel are now the faces of the two sides of the title hero, and they’ve got a long franchise road ahead of them if the origin movie’s success is any indication, but another more powerful entity lurks on the horizon. That supervillain/antihero is Black Adam and Hollywood superstar Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is set to bring him to life on the big screen.
Johnson, a producer on Shazam! and a driving force behind its development over the last few years, recently took to Instagram to thank fans the world over for the movie’s success. In between earnest moments of gratitude, Johnson also explained the reason they needed to separate Black Adam’s origin story from the one that’s told in Shazam! (though Black Adam’s mythology is mentioned in a quick scene, for those who were paying attention.) He also teased just when Black Adam should start filming, putting Levi and the Shazam! team on notice.
Check out The Rock’s “thank you” video below (via Instagram):
For more on Shazam! and Black Adam, be sure to get caught up by checking out these recent write-ups:
- Weekend Box Office: ‘Shazam!’ Electrifies With $53 Million Debut
- ‘Shazam!’s David F. Sandberg & Peter Safran on Why Superhero Movies are So Popular
- ‘Shazam!’: What’s the Deal with that Weird [Spoiler]?
- Zachary Levi on Making ‘Shazam!’ and Why Comic Book Movies Are so Popular
- ‘Shazam!’ Review: A Fun and Sweet Delight When It’s Not Being Disturbingly Dark
- Zachary Levi on ‘Shazam!’ and Looking Forward to Fighting Dwayne Johnson’s Black Adam
- President of Production Hiram Garcia on Seven Bucks Productions, ‘Hobbs and Shaw’, and More
- Exclusive: ‘Black Adam’ Producer Hiram Garcia Gives Update on Dwayne Johnson’s DC Film
- ‘Black Adam’ Hires ‘Due Date’ Writer Adam Sztykiel to Pen the Screenplay
- Dwayne Johnson Confirms Separate Movies for Black Adam and Shazam; Teases DC Plans