The first trailer for Walt Disney’s The Sorcerer’s Apprentice has been released. This is the Jon Turteltaub directed (National Treasure, National Treasure: Book of Secrets) adventure/comedy starring Nicolas Cage, Jay Baruchel, Alfred Molina, Teresa Palmer, and Monica Bellucci.
While I’m a big fan of producer Jerry Bruckheimer’s movies that star Nicolas Cage (The Rock, Con Air, Gone in 60 Seconds, National Treasure), the trailer makes me quite nervous. Everything from the music to the not very good CGI left me less than impressed and the film looks like it aims very young. Saying that, if I were a twelve year old and hadn’t seen a lot of movies, maybe this trailer would excite me. Judge for yourself after the jump.
Update: Disney has provided us with three images from the film. They’re below the trailer.
Here’s the synopsis:
Dave (Jay Baruchel) is just an average college student, or so it appears, until the sorcerer Balthazar Blake (Nicolas Cage) recruits him as his reluctant protégé and gives him a crash course in the art and science of magic. As he prepares for a battle against the forces of darkness in modern-day Manhattan, Dave finds it is going to take all of the courage he can muster to survive his training, save the city and get the girl as he becomes THE SORCERER’S APPRENTICE.
Watch the trailer in HD on Apple
Here are the official details as provided by Walt Disney:
- Genre: Comedy Adventure
- Rating: TBD
- Release Date: July 16, 2010
- Cast: Nicolas Cage, Jay Baruchel, Alfred Molina, Teresa Palmer, Monica Bellucci, Toby Kebbell
- Director: Jon Turteltaub
- Producer: Jerry Bruckheimer
- Executive Producers: Todd Garner, Nicolas Cage, Norm Golightly, Mike Stenson,
- Chad Oman, Barry Waldman
- Screen Story by: Matt Lopez and Larry Konner & Mark Rosenthal
- Screenplay by: Matt Lopez and Doug Miro & Carlo Bernard (writing credits not final)
Walt Disney Studios, producer Jerry Bruckheimer and director Jon Turteltaub, the creators of the “National Treasure” franchise, present THE SORCERER’S APPRENTICE — an innovative and epic comedy adventure about a sorcerer and his hapless apprentice who are swept into the center of an ancient conflict between good and evil.
Balthazar Blake (NICOLAS CAGE) is a master sorcerer in modern-day Manhattan trying to defend the city from his arch-nemesis, Maxim Horvath (ALFRED MOLINA). Balthazar can’t do it alone, so he recruits Dave Stutler (JAY BARUCHEL), a seemingly average guy who demonstrates hidden potential, as his reluctant protégé. The sorcerer gives his unwilling accomplice a crash course in the art and science of magic, and together, these unlikely partners work to stop the forces of darkness. It’ll take all the courage Dave can muster to survive his training, save the city and get the girl as he becomes THE SORCERER’S APPRENTICE. . The screenplay is by Matt Lopez and Doug Miro & Carlo Bernard from a screen story by Matt Lopez and Larry Konner & Mark Rosenthal.
- The motion picture reunites Nicolas Cage, Jerry Bruckheimer and Jon Turteltaub, respectively the star, producer and director of the blockbusters “National Treasure” and “National Treasure: Book of Secrets.”
- “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice” marks Nicolas Cage’s seventh collaboration with Jerry Bruckheimer, following “The Rock,” “Con Air,” “Gone in 60 Seconds,” “National Treasure,” “National Treasure: Book of Secrets” and “G-Force”).