Be aware there are spoilers through The Walking Dead Season 9 mid-season finale, ‘Evolution’.
It’s a whole new world on The Walking Dead — well no, it’s still the zombie apocalypse, but following last year’s game-changing mid-season finale, the series is picking up after a six-year time jump. New time frame, new big bad. The second half of Season 9 brings the arrival of the Whisperers and their head honcho, Alpha (Samantha Morton), and AMC has debuted a new mid-season premiere trailer introducing her daughter, Lydia (Cassidy McClincy), who’s quick to promise her mamma is not the kind of lady you want to mess with.
We got a peek at the Whisperers in the first half of Season 9 (RIP Jesus), but they’re coming full force in 9B, which promises an opportunity for showrunner Angela Kang to break away from the familiar formula of previous season and redefine The Walking Dead in a post-Rick age. Speaking with EW, Kang revealed that Season 9B will engage in some flashbacks, find also Negan on quite an adventure now that he’s busted out of his jail cell, and yes, comic fans can look forward to/dread the arrival of the iconic Harvest Festival (non-book-readers google at your own peril.) And without Rick leading the charge, we can almost certainly look forward to seeing resident fav Norman Reedus, Danai Gurira, and Melissa McBride stepping into the spotlight.
Get a peak at what’s in store in the teaser below. The Walking Dead returns returns to AMC on February 10th.
For more of our coverage of The Walking Dead, be sure to take a look at these recent write-ups:
- Norman Reedus, Melissa McBride Sign New ‘Walking Dead’ Franchise Deals; Danai Gurira in Negotiations
- ‘The Walking Dead’: Andrew Lincoln on His Final Episode and Rick Grimes’ Future
- Scott Gimple and Angela Kang on Where ‘The Walking Dead’ Universe Goes from Here
- Andrew Lincoln to Return for Multiple ‘The Walking Dead’ Movies on AMC
- Andrew Lincoln and Jon Bernthal Reunite In ‘The Walking Dead’ Behind-the-Scenes Image