With James Mangold’s The Wolverine opening this weekend, I was recently able to interview the cast in New York City. Starring Hugh Jackman in the title role, The Wolverine tracks Logan as he reunites with faces from his past while grappling with his immortality. Featuring a fantastic international cast, The Wolverine also stars Will Yun Lee, Hiroyuki Sanada, Brian Tee, Rila Fukushima, Svetlana Khodchenkova and Tao Okamoto. For more on the film, watch these clips or check out all our previous coverage.
During my extended video interview with Mangold, he talked about the positive reaction to the film, how it doesn’t feel like a comic book movie, the length of his first cut, deleted scenes, the possibility of releasing an unrated cut on Blu-ray (which would be 12 minutes longer), developing strong female characters, his thoughts on doing another Wolverine sequel (which you’ll want him to do after you see the film), and a lot more. Hit the jump to watch.
- I mention how much I dug the movie. What it’s been like feeling the positive reaction
- How The Wolverine doesn’t feel like a comic book movie until the 3rd act
- How long was his assembly cut
- Says they might do an unrated cut for the Blu-ray that would be 12 minutes longer
- Talks about the 12 minutes of deleted scenes and if they were full scenes or pieces from other scenes. Also talks about the editing process.
- How he’s surprised he had the chance to let the film breathe and not rush the audience from action scene to action scene
- The strong female characters and how women should respond to the film
- Does he have another Wolverine idea for a sequel? Is he willing to make a sequel?
- Did he come up with any ideas they couldn’t use on this film but could be used in a sequel