About midway through Think Like a Man Too, the female half of the ensemble enter into a plush Vegas club, sit down on a cushy couch, look directly into the camera and belt out Bell Biv DeVoe’s 1990’s jam ‘Poison’. At first it’s pretty jarring that a traditional studio comedy would turn into a fourth-wall breaking music video, but that quickly passes as the sheer sense of fun the cast seems to be having infectiously overwhelms. The moment itself is emblematic of the sequel’s looser structure (there’s hardly any semblance of a plot), enabling the cast to let loose and bounce off one another seamlessly. It’s as if someone looked at the cast from the first film – Kevin Hart, Regina Hall, Michael Ealy, Taraji P. Henson & Gabrielle Union – and thought ‘Hey – just let them do their thing.’ And the movie’s all the better off for it, the cast reveling in any and all Vegas related hijinks thought possible.
In the following interview with a trio of the female half of the cast (Gabrielle Union, Regina Hall & La La Anthony), they discuss the Poison ‘music video’, how the looser structure led to more natural performances and where they would like to see a third Think Like a Man sequel take place at. For the full interview, hit the jump.
Gabrielle Union, Regina Hall & La La Anthony:
- How was the music video pitched to the Union, Hall and Anthony?
- The trio reveals the original song they were supposed to sing instead of ‘Poison’.
- Did they have a say in what song was chosen?
- What encore song would they follow Poison up with?
- How did the looser structure of Think Like A Man Too help their performances?
- What was the impact of shooting in Las Vegas on the film?
- Which setting would the trio like to visit next if there was a third Think Like a Man film?
- They discuss what future projects they have coming up…