Fans of Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief will get to see star Logan Lerman back in action in this summer’s sequel, Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters. Director Thor Freudenthal was kid enough to share an advanced look at the first act of the film, which has plenty of action and humor to go around. In a recent interview, Freudenthal talked about his penchant for directing family films, Percy’s character arc in the sequel, pulling from the Rick Riordan books for his own interpretation, and working with the new and returning cast members.
Also starring Brandon T. Jackson, Alexandra Daddario, Leven Rambin, Jake Abel, Nathan Fillion, Stanley Tucci, Anthony Head and Douglas Smith, Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters opens August 7th. Hit the jump for the video interview.
If you missed my interview with Logan Lerman, click here.
- 0:05 – Talks about the aspects of family films that draw him in as a director.
- 1:10 – Comments on Percy’s arc for the sequel.
- 2:05 – Talks about balancing his interpretation of the book with the expectations of fans, plus scenes and mythology he pulled from the book for the story.
- 3:25 – Comments on working with both the returning cast and the new additions.
- 4:30 – Reveals a bit about his process from pre-production through to his final cut and comments on how much additional material we’ll see on the eventual Blu-ray.
- 5:00 – Talks about his upcoming projects.