With Muppets Most Wanted opening next weekend, I recently landed an exclusive video interview with producer Todd Lieberman. During the interview he talked about the first time he heard they’d get to make a sequel, the process of developing the sequel and the urgency to get a story together, the cameos and the process of organizing them, his thoughts on Muppets TV specials or possibly a Muppets series, filming in London, his thoughts on getting the Muppets in LEGO form, how he came to be producing Insurgent (the sequel to Divergent), and a lot more.
In the sequel, the gang is on a successful tour in Europe but gets into trouble when Kermit gets mistaken for his jewel-heisting doppelganger, Constantine. The film stars Ricky Gervais, Ty Burrell, and Tina Fey, and features a ton of celebrity cameos. For more on the film, watch 20 minutes of behind-the-scenes footage, or check out all our previous coverage which features TV spots, clips, interviews, and more. Muppets Most Wanted opens March 21.
- 0:10 – Talks about his time in Winter Wonderland in London, the city in which the film was shot.
- 1:35 – Looks back to when he first got the green light for the Muppets sequel.
- 2:20 – Talks about the process of getting that green light and how he got the message.
- 2:55 – Comments on the process of developing the sequel and the urgency to get a story together.
- 3:25 – Shows off his passion for the Muppets and says how rewarding it is to get energy coming from the studio side of things.
- 4:00 – Talks about the chance of doing a couple of Muppets TV specials or possibly a Muppets series.
- 5:05 – Comments on the sequel’s cameos and the process of organizing them. He goes on to talk about the shooting schedule for those cameos, and the difficulties of shooting them in London.
- 7:05 – Comments on the possibility of getting the Muppets in LEGO form.
- 8:10 – Talks about the changes from script to screen, and which ideas were in place from the beginning.
- 9:35 – Answers the question about a possible follow-up film and who would step in to direct.
- 10:00 – Comments on his producer role on the sequel to Divergent (Insurgent), but not the first film. Reveals that they’ll start production on the sequel at the end of May.
- 10:45 – Talks briefly about Robert Schwentke, who will direct the sequel, and his understanding of the material of the Divergent book series.