One of the many films Disney promoted at D23 was director James Bobin’s sequel Muppets Most Wanted. In the follow-up, the gang is on a successful tour in Europe but gets into trouble when Kermit is mistaken for his jewel-heisting doppelganger, Constantine. Ricky Gervais plays Constantine’s sidekick, Tina Fey plays a Russian prison guard, and Ty Burrell plays an Interpol agent. For more on the film, here’s the first teaser trailer and Dave’s recap of the D23 panel.
Shortly after the panel, I landed a video interview with producer Todd Lieberman. He talked about how the sequel came together, the writing process, the songs, Ricky Gervais’ past as a singer in the 1980s, the cameos, upcoming projects, and more. Hit the jump to watch.
- 0:30 – The experience of the film being a hit and the speed of moving into a sequel
- 1:08 – Developing ideas for the sequel
- 2:09 – The songs for the sequel
- 3:23 – Ricky Gervais’ past as a singer in the 1980s
- 3:46 – The experience of hearing the cast sing the songs
- 4:22 – Getting cameos for the sequel
- 4:44 – Upcoming projects