While at the 37th annual Saturn Awards, we were able to speak with Marvel Studios VP of Production Tom Cohen. He spoke about X-Men: First Class, possible sequels, The Wolverine, Deadpool, Ant Man, Marvel’s strategy for introducing comic book characters that may be unfamiliar to mainstream audiences, teased a bit about the studio’s presence at Comic-Con this year, and more.
Hit the jump to watch the interview. If you missed our previous coverage from the Saturn Awards, don’t forget to check out our interviews with Let Me In director Matt Reeves, makeup artists Rick Baker and Dave Elsey, Brandon Routh, Fringe’s Lance Reddick, producer Dean Devlin, Frank Darabont and Gale Anne Hurd from The Walking Dead, and Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan.
Tom Cohen, Marvel Studios VP of Production
- :01 X-Men: First Class talk
- :25 Talks about First Class sequels
- 1:05 Other possible X-Men films besides a First Class sequel: “You know Wolverine’s in the works right now, as soon as Fox locks in a new director for Wolverine that will go forward. So there’s definitely more X-Men movies in the future, Deadpool’s in development with Tim Miller attached to direct. It’s great, there’s great X-Men characters and great possibilities.
- 1:28 Silver Surfer talk: “Fox actually controls Silver Surfer too as well, because they still control rights to Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer’s part of that kind of universe of characters. It’s a great character.”
- 1:51 Talks about Guardians of the Galaxy. His favorite characters.
- 2:26 Strategy for introducing comic book characters that mainstream audiences are unfamiliar with.
- 3:17 Talks about Edgar Wright’s Ant Man script.
- 3:59 Marvel’s presence at Comic-Con this year.