Tom Hardy is set to reunite with his Inception director Christopher Nolan for an unspecified role in Batman 3. Deadline says it’s a leading role but that they’re keeping it secret beyond that. However, they say it’s a reasonable assumption that Hardy would be playing a villain. But who’s the villain? The great thing about Hardy is that he’s versatile enough to not really give any indication. He could be The Riddler, Killer Croc, or perhaps another villain you wouldn’t normally think of (somewhere, the world’s lone Killer Moth fan quietly prays).
Hardy is currently attached to play Mad Max in Mad Max: Fury Road, but as we previously reported, filming has been delayed until 2012 which frees up Hardy’s schedule considerably. He’s also attached to McG’s action-romantic-comedy This Means War with Reese Witherspoon and Chris Pine, as well as Tomas Alfredson’s Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy with Gary Oldman and Colin Firth. Hit the jump for a brief update on what we know about Batman 3 thus far. Batman 3 is slated for release on July 20, 2012.
Here’s a brief rundown on what we know about Batman 3:
- Filming is expected to begin in April in New Orleans.
- As of last month, Nolan and his brother Jonathan were still working on the script.
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt has been rumored to play The Riddler (this one smacks of fan-casting with no basis in fact).
- Killer Croc may be in it (this one originated from the in-no-way-trustworthy Mark Millar).
- Cinematographer Wally Pfister wants to shoot the film in IMAX, and neither he nor Nolan are fans of 3D.
- Nolan won’t bring back The Joker.
Personally, I’m jazzed about Hardy coming on board. He’s a fantastic actor and if you need convincing, you probably haven’t seen him in Nicolas Winding Refn’s Bronson (which is available to Watch Instantly on Netflix).