The Lost City of Z now playing in New York and Los Angeles and expanding nationwide April 21st, I recently sat down with Tom Holland to talk about the making of the film. During the interview, he talked about memorable moments from filming, how much he knew about the story prior to getting involved, shooting on film, and more. In addition he shared a great story about meeting Mark Hamill after the premiere of Captain America: Civil War in London, what happened to Shane Carruth’s The Modern Ocean, how fortunate he is to play Spider-Man, how he wants to wear a Deadpool costume the next time he’s at Comic-Con, and what Alfonso Gomez-Rejon’s A Current War with Benedict Cumberbatch is about.
If you’re not familiar with The Lost City of Z, the film is based on David Grann‘s best-selling book, “The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon”, and it tells the incredible true story of British explorer Percy Fawcett (Charlie Hunnam), who journeys into the Amazon at the dawn of the 20th century and discovers evidence of a previously unknown, advanced civilization that may have once inhabited the region. Despite being ridiculed by the scientific establishment who regard indigenous populations as “savages”, the determined Fawcett – supported by his devoted wife (Sienna Miller), son (Tom Holland) and aide de camp (Robert Pattinson) – returns time and again to his beloved jungle in an attempt to prove his case, culminating in his mysterious disappearance in 1925.
Loaded with exceptional performances, breathtaking cinematography, and a fantastic script, I absolutely loved the film and strongly recommend checking it out when it’s playing near you. It’s definitely one of my favorite films of 2017. For more on The Lost City of Z, you can read Chris Cabin’s glowing review.
Check out what Tom Holland had to say in the video above and below is a listing of what we talked about followed by some images from the film.
- What it’s like for him to go to Comic-Con.
- Reveals what costume he wants to wear next time he walks the Comic-Con convention floor.
- Talks about meeting Mark Hamill after the premiere of Captain America: Civil War in London.
- How much did he know about the story prior to getting involved?
- Talks about shooting The Lost City of Z on film.
- Talks about memorable moments from filming.
- What happened to Shane Carruth’s The Modern Ocean?
- Talks about making Alfonso Gomez-Rejon’s A Current War with Benedict Cumberbatch and how it’s about the invention of the lightbulb.
- Talks about how lucky he is to be able to play Spider-Man a lot over the next few years.